CRASH SAFETY: Festiva Ranking in 1995 Vehicular Death Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRASH SAFETY: Festiva Ranking in 1995 Vehicular Death Rates

What are the results of the 1995 Insurance Institute of Highway Safety Report on the Ford Festiva ?
    Rich Norman
    5 Festivas:
    1992 L - Daily Driver
    1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
    1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
    1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
    1991 L - Parts Car

Quite true that Festivas may have a higher death rate in accidents, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. In my case, that little cars size, and maneuverability has gotten me out of several accidents. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva
      Quite true that Festivas may have a higher death rate in accidents, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. In my case, that little cars size, and maneuverability has gotten me out of several accidents. :wink:
      True, but the ones you can't control are the ones that bite you.

After firsthand witnessing an accident that took the life of two people in a small car, it did make me rethink about spending too much "seat time" in them, and certainly for my family.

While with my wife vacationing in the Smokies ( Sevierville ), we came up on a small car ( older Tercel ) accident. Driver of the Tercel had lost control on slick road around blind corner, allowing car to venture into the path of an oncoming truck ( F-250 w/travel trailer ). The passenger rear quarter to be hit square on by the truck ( strange sight I recall, it had just rained briefly, then beautiful sun was out, very ironic ).

It happened right in front of us, so we and few others were first to give aid. but in the end we just got left with the memory of having to witness life pass on ( took forever for emergency to get there, not that it would have helped, as the father and 7-year old daughter had severe head and internal trauma ).

This accident was, sadly, preventable by the driver who was driving too fast for road conditions ( IMHO ), but there is the question of would these people have survived if they have more crush space by virtue of a larger car ( I suspect daughter, who was in pass rear seat, made direct contact with grill guard on truck ).
      Rich Norman
      5 Festivas:
      1992 L - Daily Driver
      1991 L - Parts Car

Comment

Completely understand what you are saying, and must have been rough. No doubt you were on vacation?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Hey it looks like if I did ever find a Festiva for sale, it would be a improvement in gas mileage AND safety as my current car! Mustangs are worse the Festivas according to your thing. What years cars was that comparing though?
          My Mods/Pics
          MY VIDEO

Comment

Wow ! I have 3 of the top 10 worst cars including number 1. Actually I own 7 vehicles that are in those 3 of the top 10.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by on_ice
              Hey it looks like if I did ever find a Festiva for sale, it would be a improvement in gas mileage AND safety as my current car! Mustangs are worse the Festivas according to your thing. What years cars was that comparing though?
              According to their report, looks like they would have been comparing 90-93 cars and trucks.

The Mustang being worse, seemingly doesn't take into account that more of these cars were sold than Festiva ( I don't have actual figures on sales for either unfortunately ).

I've got a little Mustang crash experience, I got T-boned right after the driver's door in an 86 Mustang by a Buick Regal that ran a stoplight ( 45 mph estimated ). Had I not had a roll cage ( Autopower SCCA bolt-in type ) in the Stang, I doubt I'd be here. Impact was so hard it snapped the door bar at the main hoop.
              Rich Norman
              5 Festivas:
              1992 L - Daily Driver
              1991 L - Parts Car

Comment

Working...
              X