newbie questions, stripping an 88, looking for donor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie questions, stripping an 88, looking for donor

hi guys, i've been looking around your site for a while and think i've got the"what bolts to what" figured out. my question is more a seat of the pants, what do these combos run like. i'm driving a lo mile 90, dead stock, getting 44 mpg. its performance is good. i just bought a rust free 88(i know about the fuel pump issues) that i'm stripping now. original plan was a B6T swap, but B6T cars seem scarce or expensive. second thought was the BP and G5MR. problem with plan 2 is the lower final drive of theG5MR, don't they smoke tires a lot. i'd like to stay with a higher diff. ratio(economy) and gain usable power. now i'm thinking- capri XR-2, non turbo(cheap) and whichever trans(5 speed) is cheapest to make work. anybody driving a B6 car, how much more zing over stock? and, you "over the top guys", how much of a handful is a BP/ B6T car. i hope i've got this posted where it belongs, thanks for your time, nice site!!
    seemed like a good idea at the time...

There is a 5th gear swap you can do on the g25m-r tranmissions. Over on the 323 or protege forum they show how to do it. Very easy to do.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

now i'm thinking- capri XR-2, non turbo(cheap) and whichever trans(5 speed) is cheapest to make work.
      Im running a complete n/a capri drivetrain (engine, trans, ecu, and axles). Its basically the same work as a b6t swap just alittle easier to find. I got all of mine for 400 at a pick n pull. The n/a axles make it torque steer pretty bad but after youve driven it enough you don't even notice it. The n/a capri trans has almost identical gear ratios as the bp trans. When im back home where theres no hills I get about 30mpg here in pa its around 26. Its only 40 hp more but I think the shorter gearing helps. Last time I was at the track I was able to get a 15.335 out of it on a worn set of 13" falkens.
      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

You dont "NEED" to swap the trans. Some on here swap the bp & stock trans. Those gears are made for economy. Both 4th & 5th are overdrive gears. A later EGT has a numerically lower ratio giving you the "usable powerband" that you are seeking. As matt says you can do the 5th gear swap. You'll open up the trans case to do it.
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

With the N/A DOHC Capri engine, at about 100-116 hp (depending on what you do to it), I'd stay with the stock Festiva transmissions, MTX or ATX.

My feeling from reading this site for awhile is that as long as you don't abuse the transmission, you should be fine.

The Festiva ATX is supposed to be pretty strong, if that matters.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks guys. I hear that the festy MTX is strong enough, but the diff. is the weakest link. also heard from local trans builders that the ATX will handle abuse well. something to consider since an ATX is more consistent for bracket racing. one more question, torque steer was mentioned, does'nt the XR2 have an extension of sorts on the right side of the transaxle. does'nt that equalize axle lengths and reduce torque steer? do all Capris have that or only turbo cars? going to check out a '91 capri soon, $500, don't think it's a turbo though.
            seemed like a good idea at the time...

Comment

The xr2 is the turbo version. Not all capri's are a xr2. Yes the auto trans can be built up quite nicely. Check out yvan's auto super auto sticky in custom engine & trans
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Working...
              X