First B6 swap underway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First B6 swap underway!

I wasn't originally planning a B6 swap, but my daily driver's transmission finally blew up after a year of constant abuse. Originally I planned to replace the transmission and go on with life, but that night I saw a '88 323 on Craigslidt for $200.

I called the guy up, and went to look at the car. It had a blown transmission and he meant to fix it, but never did so the car just sat there for 4 years. Long story short, I was offered the car for $85, provided I get it off his property. It was too good of a deal to pass, especially since the engine only had 117,000 miles on it and no major oil leaks. :lol:

So Kyle (Trucktiva) and I got the B6 out with no major problems, and I figured it would be smooth sailing pulling my engine and transmission out, since there's not a lot under the hood.

Disconnecting everything was the easy part and took about half an hour. I figured we'd have the engine out in no time and maybe get the B6 in the same day!

Not so. The engine fought with me for 4 hours before I could get it out. It kept catching on the master cylinder, airbox, fuel filter and anything else that stuck out more than an inch. :evil:

The jackstand slipped and the car almost fell on me, and when Kyle and I decided to separate the transmission from the engine it refused to come off, and when it finally did and we threw it over the side of the car, the clutch lever thing ripped my jacket and left a nasty scratch on my stomach as a parting shot. I also ripped up my hands and arms, as well as sliced open my pinkie when the wrench slipped and my hand slammed into the shield thing behind the brake rotor. :evil:

I've never, ever had this kind of a fight with a Festiva. It was 100x easier working with the carburetted engines; they just drop in and out and take no time to do.

I'm hoping to have the B6 in by Friday. I predict putting the engine in will be as big of a PITA as it was pulling the B3, so I'm not too excited about putting the engine in.

This swap had better be worth the hell I'm going through!

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Sorry to hear about the HELL that you have been through, but I am sure that you have learn alot along the way. The install should go much smoother. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
    1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Sorry to hear that Tim.. I too am licking some wounds from the weekend.. I take it you kept the engine and tranny together when pulling it.. This is just from personal experience, but I've always found it much easier to pull and install them separately. That's just me, so I'm sure some will disagree..

Comment

yeah, for a B6 or B3 swap it will go much more smoothly pulling and installing seperately, there's plenty of extra room under there when you take the engine and transmission apart for installation... try stuffing a BP with the tranny attatched to it into the engine bay with no help except from your hoist... thats not fun :!:
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
          Sorry to hear that Tim.. I too am licking some wounds from the weekend.. I take it you kept the engine and tranny together when pulling it.. This is just from personal experience, but I've always found it much easier to pull and install them separately. That's just me, so I'm sure some will disagree..
          Well, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's had their butt kicked kicked by a Festy! :lol:

This is the first time I've ever dealt with a EFI Festiva. I've pulled many carb'd engines with the transmissions attached, and never had any problems, so I thought that this would be easy as well.

I'll put the engine and tranny in separate this time and see what happens.

Originally posted by htchbck
          yeah, for a B6 or B3 swap it will go much more smoothly pulling and installing seperately, there's plenty of extra room under there when you take the engine and transmission apart for installation... try stuffing a BP with the tranny attatched to it into the engine bay with no help except from your hoist... thats not fun :!:
          The engine bay isn't as cluttered as that of a carb'd Festiva, so putting the transmission in separately might just be doable.

How the heck did you get the BP and tranny in there, and by yourself??? :shock: You probably had it 10 times worse than me...

Originally posted by b3 madness
          Sorry to hear about the HELL that you have been through, but I am sure that you have learn alot along the way. The install should go much smoother. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
          I learned quite a bit today. Next swap will probably be a piece of cake, since I know what not to do... :wink:

I'll update with my progress tomorrow.

By the way, will the 323 alternator plug into the Festy harness? It's a bit beefier and I'd like to use it if I can.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
            How the heck did you get the BP and tranny in there, and by yourself??? You probably had it 10 times worse than me...
            It actually wasn't as difficult as it sounds... I got it pretty well into position so that the bolts for the transmission mounts were sticking through, then I put the nuts on and slowly started tightening them down and it pulled everything into place... then I made my pass side engine mount
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I have a theory about taking cars apart, and how they'll bite you at least once, just to let you know they're not going down without a fight.

Comment

^^^ yeah, my cars bite me all the time, I have close to a dozen small scars on my hands and fingers from them... but shouldn't the car respect the fact that you are going to put it back together again even better than before? I mean, when a surgeon goes to operate on someone the person doesn't bite them first :!: :lol:
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Knowing what NOT to do is at least as important as knowing WHAT to do!

If you're using a crane, I expect it would be easier if you also had a load leveller. I have one I will use next time. It should make things go smoother.

Good luck Tim!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                    If you're using a crane, I expect it would be easier if you also had a load leveller. I have one I will use next time. It should make things go smoother.
                    Those load levelers work great for V-8 rear wheel drives. I've never used it for the 4 cylinder FWD, I just "man handle" it into place. I also always put the engine and transmission in together. I like being finished once the engine and transmission is in place, not half way done.
                    You gonna race that thing?
                    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I used a seatbelt as a load leveler before but the knot kept breaking. Eventually I said screw this, and have manhandled the engine in place ever since. Someday, I'll break down and buy a load leveler though.

So Kyle and I got the B6 in with relatively little trouble today. The only real issue was that the B6 engine mount was too wide for the slot on the side of the engine bay, so we had to use the one off the B3.

However, getting the transmission in was a pain in the ass. It's still not in, and we wrestled with the SOB for about 2 hours. I don't know how you guys get the transmission and engine to line up, but we weren't able to. For some reason, the bell housing wouldn't clear the flywheel, and no matter what we did we still have the problem. Kyle ground the housing down a bit to try and make it fit, but we still haven't got it on. And the frustrating thing is that the bellhousing isn't clearing the flywheel by 1/1000 of an inch!!!!!

I also noticed the B6 distributor has a vacuum advance and 2 extra connectors. Hopefully the engine will run without them, because there's no extra plug in the harness.

Then there's the issue with the passenger CV axle. That sucker is still firmly attached to the blown transmission, and no amount of brute force has worked so far. I'm hoping that it will come off when I separate the bell housing from the transmission. I remember the mechanic who replaced the clutch a year ago had a heck of a time getting that axle out too. Don't know how he did it though.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Use the B3 disty.. and I always put the tranny in first.. Maybe I should have said that before.. :roll:

Comment

Use the B3 disty.. and I always put the tranny in first.. Maybe I should have said that before.. :roll:
                          Tranny in first? ops:

Looks like we'll be pulling the engine again tomorrow...

Do I just plug the vacuum lines going to the distributor?

Regards,

Tim
                          White '89L auto - Sold!
                          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Forgot yours was carbed.. EFI disty no vac lines.. If ya don't have 1 let me know.. I have a box of them..

Comment

Forgot yours was carbed.. EFI disty no vac lines.. If ya don't have 1 let me know.. I have a box of them..
                              My car's a 1991 L. It's my first EFI Festiva.

I was just wondering what to do with the vacuum lines from the B6 distributor to the intake.

Regards,

Tim
                              White '89L auto - Sold!
                              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                              X