X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can I go...

...with a blown head gasket?

I noticed 2 ominous signs in my new '93 today:

Oil in the coolant, and the hose from the top of the radiator to the thermostat is dry, which would explain the non-functioning temp gauge.

The car runs fine and I didn't notice any problems until I took the radiator off this evening.

So for those of you who have had blown head gaskets, how long did your motor hold up? I want to drive this car until it drops, then throw in a B6.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Head Gasket

My buddy from work with a 92 cavalier 2.2 has driven his car for 2 years with a blown head gasket. Its not a bad blow though he's just getting a little coolant in the combustion chambers so it runs rough for about 2 min and then cleans itself out. Mind you this guy is a very experienced mechanic who likes the thrill of driving a time bomb, he could probably change the gasket in about 2 hours but he chooses to live dangerously.... to each his own
    1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
    B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

Re: How long can I go...

Originally posted by Tim
      I want to drive this car until it drops, then throw in a B6.

Regards,

Tim
      Well if you continue to drive it with the bad head gasket, then you will be doing your B6 swap in no time at all!!

But seriously, you can pull the head and have it resurfaced and replace the head gasket if you are not ready to take the plunge in to the engine swap. It would not be to costly and can be done easily in a day.

Good luck,

Jim
      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Re: How long can I go...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the gasket was already blown when I bought the car, so who knows how long it's been like this.

I just sunk a chunk of change into this car (new body parts and windshield) and I don't really want to spend more money on it right now.

Plus it's my only running Festiva and my truck gets poor mileage around town.

So hopefully the engine will hold out until I get another Festy going, or I'll be back to driving the truck...

Regards,

Tim

Originally posted by b3 madness
        Originally posted by Tim
        I want to drive this car until it drops, then throw in a B6.

Regards,

Tim
        Well if you continue to drive it with the bad head gasket, the you will be doing your B6 swap in no time at all!!

But seriously, you can pull the head and have it resurfaced and replace the head gasket if you are not ready to take the plunge in to the engine swap. It would not be to costly and can be done easily in a day.

Good luck,

Jim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Well the first one lasted about 2 months being driven highway only. It was FI.
          The second one lasted about 3 weeks being driven around town. It was Carb'd and Not sure if fan worked right.

In other words, it's a gamble.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

I've put 40,000 miles on mine. Think the head gasket was bad then but don't know.
            I'm like you. Engine has 200k plus. Want a rebuilt engine to do a weekend replacement before it dies. My truck only gets 16mph. And I drive a thousand miles a week.

Comment

Originally posted by dahodges
              My truck only gets 16mph.
              Ha Ha I thought this was funny!! I think Tim's truck only gets 16 MPH too!! Ha Ha!! J/K
              *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by TRUCKtiva

Ha Ha I thought this was funny!! I think Tim's truck only gets 16 MPH too!! Ha Ha!! J/K

That's pretty funny... and accurate! :shock: :lol:

It's probably the slowest vehicle I've ever driven.
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Drove it over a month sounded like a desiel but still ran great.
                  "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

man, your fine, if you only knew how my engine is running right now, it baffels me considering that I know how much is wrong with it...... 8) ...............these motors can run with sand for oil.. :lol: ...don't actually do that....... :shock:

Comment

There were headgasket gasket kits on Ebay that were really cheap. Might look into that.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
                        There were headgasket gasket kits on Ebay that were really cheap. Might look into that.
                        Definately worth looking into.

I rebuilt a B3 a year ago and it cost me like $200 for everything.
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

if there wasnt any water in the oil id say drive it with an eye on the temp gauge and a jug of water, but bearings dont like coolant, so if it was me id surface the head an replace the gasket since its really inexpensive for a festy
                          is not sposed ta do that...
                          05 subaru legacy gt
                          1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
                          1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

i got a FULL gasket set (seals, top and bottom end gaskets, valve stem seals, etc..) for the B6 for like $40, and the stuff seems to be of good qual, though i havn't installed it yet... i'm sure if your just getting a festy head gasket you can find something cheaper than that...
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

on my car from cali that i have im not sure if it had a blown head gasket or the over heating caused to a warped head at any rate the car was going through water like crazy maybe it was leaking by the water pump im not sure i really didnt care because i was doing a b6t swap but anyways with just watching the gauge and adding water every time i drove it, it lasted a month. the final end of the car was very quiet it just lost power and when i cranked it, it spun freely im thinking the T belt snapped from it over heating so hot i had the engine but i never took it apart i still wonder what went on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X