X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $4 a Gallon/120¢ per Liter

$4 Gas? Fat Chance

Watch out: Here comes $4 gasoline

So, I guess you can pretty much pick your own reality this summer.

Me? I'm hoping that a cold air intake will kick me into the mid 40s.

Has anyone else found a surefire way to increase their fuel economy?

B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

seafoam and tuneups and such.

i need to do a cai but ive modified the filter box to allow air eaiser flow. id like to make a new tube.

but gotta get a job first lol, gonna go a few places tomm on that issue.

but if i can get into the 30's steadly ill take what i can, just filled up and got 27.3mpg, im avg around 27.9 right now. which im extremly happy with lol as my grem was the worst car ive ever seen on gas, 7mpg lol
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

It almost hit 1.20/l here last summer. 1.19 i think it peaked at
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by warlocke
        seafoam and tuneups and such.
        I did not know about Sea Foam - thanks! I'll run some this weekend.

Before the rebuild last summer on my extremely stock 1.3, I was down in the thirties. Since then, I've seen into the high thirties, and last weeks tank calculated out at 41. The eventual goal is 46 - which is where it'd be when I bought the car in 1991.

Originally posted by stefan
        It almost hit 1.20/l here last summer. 1.19 i think it peaked at
        Y'know, I was so proud of myself for being able to do the gallon to liter conversion that I completely forgot the $US --> $CDN conversion. I see from Gasbuddy.com that some of the Maritimes and Vancouver are up there already - I probably should be saying 150¢/l.

B

Comment

I've seen $1.35/L just before january, its at about 1.159/L now. nice that 2$ can still get you a little ways in the festiva.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

From one of the articles:

"Everyone likes to hype $4 gasoline because it's sexy," says Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil Price Information Service
            WTF???? :lol:
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Re: $4 a Gallon/120¢ per Liter

Originally posted by Hodag'stiva

Has anyone else found a surefire way to increase their fuel economy?
              Drive slower & dont rev it up
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Re: $4 a Gallon/120¢ per Liter

Originally posted by muscle_Car1
                Drive slower & dont rev it up
                Yeah, but then nobody pays any attention to you at the stop light.

Oh wait, we drive econoboxes. My bad.

That's probably the best advice out there - it probably accounts for at least 2-3 miles per gallon out of each tank.

I grabbed some Sea Foam over the lunch hour - hopefully the savings from cleaning out the intake will offset the $8 I also spent on an oil filter for the Saturn.

B

Comment

All the more reason to leave 1 car a 1.3 liter! Just do anything to increase gas mileage!
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

take out the rear seat if you don't need it. easy 15 minute diet. replace the spare and jack with a can of fix-a-flat if you're usually close to home. no friends, family or hitchikers? get rid of the passenger seat too. radio delete. duct tape over the antennae hole and c'mon you don't really need a passenger windshield wiper. take a dump before your commute. pump up them stock skins to the 40 psi max. wax the paint. buy stock in exxon.

Comment

I guess I could take out the steering wheel and replace it with my Vise Grips. And I've really wondered why I need a rear window - I mean, it's not like I sit in the back or anything.

These are all good ideas and worthy of more discussion. A new Forum, perhaps? :wink:

B

Comment

Well I'm sure we could all brainstorm here and find a way to mate a hampster wheel to a stock 5spd tranny....... stick with hampster for city/highway use....then just swap in a rat if you need a little more power when you take it to the drags.....feed it some coke before hand and who needs nitrous! :lol:
                        Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Disconnect 2 spark plugs, get bumper to bumper with a semi on the highway and turn off the engine, remove the dash and interior, make a less restrictive intake/CAI, add cruise control, lose weight, replace the driver's seat with an aluminum lawn chair (done this before), remove the rear windows and replace them with plexiglas, get really tall tires...

Do all this and you might get 50 mpg....:shock:
                          White '89L auto - Sold!
                          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                            Do all this and you might get 50 mpg....:shock:
                            One fine day crossing Indiana, I acheived that illustrious goal.

I want to say that it was the middle of summer, I was north on 65 and had a tailwind. I think I was lighter, too.

B

Comment

Wow. Best I have ever acheived was 43.5 mpg. Probably would have gotten better MPG if I replaced the original spark plugs and wires... :lol:

How fast were you going? Straight road?
                              White '89L auto - Sold!
                              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                              X