Hi Guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys!

Hey everyone. My name is Pete and I'm from Rhode Island. I acquired my friend's grandfather's 88 Festiva for 200 bucks! It's dirty as hell inside, has a blue hatch (red car), and has a little bit over 185,000 miles. But I love it.

Pics to come as soon as possible. I don't quite plan on making this car fast (I say that to every car I've owned...) but I like the idea of a N/A motor swap to get things going.

Previous projects:
    1994 Dodge Caravan, 2.5L TBI 5speed manual. Swapped in a 2.5L Turbo engine from a Dodge Spirit.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

Another project was a 95 Caravan 3.0L auto, I pulled out the motor/trans, rebuilt the motor and put in a 5 speed manual with some mods to the motor. Wow could it MOVE!

I'm mostly a Chrysler guy, but I love my Fords as well. Last car I had was an 88 Mercury Grand Marquis - guess why I bought the festiva!

Anyway, that's me. I graduated from New England Tech for an associates in Auto mechanics and I'm working at a local independent shop until I can find a job at a dealer (dealers are hurting now).

The motor on this little guy has 185k on it.

Last week, I did a full tune up, seafoam, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc/
    I was too cheap to replace the exhaust (completely rotted in 3 places. But some 1 7/8ths pipe and a 20" glasspack later, I have a nice quiet exhaust.

I de-greased the motor (holy crap did it get dirty) and I'm going to replace the timing belt tomorrow or later in the week (it only cost 22 bucks for the belt!)

Pictures to come as soon as I can find the camera.

Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy the car...it will last a long time if you take care of it
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Welcome to the board , I am sure you will love it here
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Nice to meet you , welcome :!:
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
          While you've got the timing belt out you may as well replace the crank and cam seals on that end of the motor.
          They don't cost much and are easy to replace.
          ~Jeff
          1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
          1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
          2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Welcome to FF.com! I am sure you will find the people here friendly and helpful!
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Thanks guys. I filled up the tank and only got 25mpg out of this thing. Granted I don't drive like my grandma, but I was certain I'd eek out at least 30mpg. I would like to do a carb rebuild but I'm scared of the 400,000 vacuum lines. Maybe Mitchell Shopkey can help me out. I wish there was some sort of diagnostic tool that could help me out to see if some sensors aren't working, but I don't think there's any sort of computer for this car.

If I punch it at low RPM's it'll stutter for a second and then pick up again. Makes me stall occasionally at stop lights which is quite embarrassing. I can drive a manual transmission, I swear!

Comment

Gotta love the turbo caravans! Welcome to the boards!
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_P
                  Thanks guys. I filled up the tank and only got 25mpg out of this thing. Granted I don't drive like my grandma, but I was certain I'd eek out at least 30mpg. I would like to do a carb rebuild but I'm scared of the 400,000 vacuum lines. Maybe Mitchell Shopkey can help me out. I wish there was some sort of diagnostic tool that could help me out to see if some sensors aren't working, but I don't think there's any sort of computer for this car.

If I punch it at low RPM's it'll stutter for a second and then pick up again. Makes me stall occasionally at stop lights which is quite embarrassing. I can drive a manual transmission, I swear!
                  I never got better than 35 mpg with my first carb'd Festiva. After adjusting the timing, running several cans of seafoam through it, and replacing some worn out parts it had noticeable improvements in pep and fuel economy.

The stutter might be caused by one of the vacuum lines being pulled off.

Once you get familiar with the engine bay the vacuum lines aren't too intimidating.

I did an engine swap in one of my cars, and it wasn't all that bad considering I threw away half the vacuum lines and didn't know where to reconnect the new ones... :lol:
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Strange. Edmunds says it should get 41/43mpg.

I ordered a carb kit. Hopefully it'll come with detailed instructions. I didn't find any vacuum leaks.

The RPM stuck at about 3,000 for a minute or two after a good highway run, but I pinned the throttle in neutral for about 5 seconds and it settled back down.

Carbs suck! That EFI swap looks pretty good right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X