Check this out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out!!

This company is building a NEW type of rotary!! Genius!!!

*1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

hmm thats cool!

i'd be rather woried about the vanes holding up to long term use (seems like they won't last long to me) but still, if they can make it reliable enough, its a cool idea!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I really wish this company's stuff would hit the market soon. http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html

A smoother, quieter, more efficient valve train? Sign me up!

Comment

How do you lubricate the rotary valve with out getting oil in the cylinder

Comment

i was in mechanics school back in 1980 and we tore a wankel rotary engine apart. if i recalled corectly the first engines had leaking problems on the roter ends and it did not seal good but again that was years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by miami man
            i was in mechanics school back in 1980 and we tore a wankel rotary engine apart. if i recalled corectly the first engines had leaking problems on the roter ends and it did not seal good but again that was years ago.
            Yeah the apex seals are the weakest part of the wankel type.

Originally posted by MaximumMatt
            How do you lubricate the rotary valve with out getting oil in the cylinder
            You don't. You squirt oil into the combustion chamber with the air/fuel mixture. That's the way the wankel type has done since the begining.

And those vanes look like they would have to endure a lot of stress. They do look like a weak point.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Wait sill confused like I mean how do all those journals get lubrication with out getting a ton of oil into the mix. and it also said theres no oil in the heads??

*edit grammar

Comment

I thought you were talking about the first engine. oops.

Well, I think they are using sealed bearings and pimp juice to hold it together.
                I watched the video of some reporter interviewing the owner of coates and he said the engine will never have to have it's oil changed. :roll: I work in a factory and I know that cam followers and other types of bearings HAVE to be oiled with fresh oil or they start to scratch and pit and do other damage to themselves and the shafts or cams that drive them. They don't have the pressures that the crankshaft has.

Comment

Sealed or self lubricated bearings would cover lubrication duties in that type of valvetrain. There aren't as many reciprocating forces acting on those rotary valves as there are on a traditional setup. Also, there's less heat, vibration, moving parts....it just keeps getting better. I want a cylinder head built by Coates!

Comment

that reg tech motor never got off the ground, cant get a good seal on the drum, and it doesnt burn clean. all rotary engines are notorius for eating oil. the rx 8s dont like cold weather and eat a quart of oil every 1000 miles, my friends 88 turbo 2 went thru a quart every 1200 to 1500 miles.
                    is not sposed ta do that...
                    05 subaru legacy gt
                    1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
                    1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Wankels are made to use oil. Unless you add oil to the gas for o-ring, & apex lube
                      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yeah, a quart of oil every 1200 to 1500 miles is normal. Before I blew the seals on mine I was getting about 1000 to 1100 miles before having to add a quart. It needed a rebuild though.

Comment

I mixed non detergent oil in my gas every tank! ran strong till I sold it!!
                          *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

Working...
                          X