Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit My Tongue

I'm a professional.

I hold an advanced degree, I wear a tie to work and I own a pair of shoes that cost $200 (but I wear my Rockports more often then not).

People pay me money to solve their problems for them. Usually, they caused these problems themselves. I'm not bragging, this is who I am and I've worked d*mn hard to get here. 'Nuff said.

An individual who is paying me money right now to solve his problems says to me after a meeting this morning, "Hey, I saw you driving a little Festiva around town. That's embarrassing. I can sell you a 69 Charger for you to drive instead!"

I smiled politely, thanked him and explained that my work generally puts 30K miles a year on my car and at $3.19/G, I'd rather stick with 37-41mpg.

"But with the bigger engine, you have more horsepower and you get better mileage."

I smiled politely, thanked him again for his generous offer, bit my tongue even harder and showed him the door. I won't re-adjust his bill this month, but I'm sorely tempted to. :twisted:

What have people said to you about your little car that has set your teeth on edge? What did you do?

B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

I do basically like you said.... explain to them that I drive the car by choice....for how the gas milage is and because I just plain like it. If they proceed to make fun...I then proceed to laugh at the money they throw away each day because they are to stupid to worry about the extra money I save because I have no car payment....insurance is low...I can repair anything on it myself....the list goes on....hahahahahahaha....
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I just straight tell people that it is the best car ever and then why it is. The fuel economy is a gimme so I don't usually have to go there. It sounds like the guy with the charger has a a bit of confusion going on regarding horsepower and fuel economy :roll: I tell them "What other car can run a hundred miles an hour, get 40 mpg regularly, goes in the snow better than some SUV's ( I won't call out my 4wd element... ok I guess I did) AND averages 300,000 miles?" Then I would have asked him if he could pick up a washing machine for me in his "big" car. "No? I guess I'll have to cover that too.... in my festiva." Then, "By the way I paid $600 for it." That doesn't usually work, but most people are concerned about appearances. Look at another one of the many bright sides... when you are driving a festiva it doesn't make your customers feel like you are ripping them off!
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

i have a good excuse for my festiva, its my commuter car so im not wearing out my 05 subaru, and the mileage is a big plus
        is not sposed ta do that...
        05 subaru legacy gt
        1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
        1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

i used to get made fun of all the time, all i say is this, "i drive it for several reasons, 1. the mileage, i get around 25-30mpg, 2. i paid $900 for the car, and 3, i love the car its like driving my gremlin (minus power steering lol) but with a LOT BETTER mileage rating
          2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
          1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
          1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
          http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

I just tell them that I paid $100 for the car, $200 for the wheels and tires, $250 for the motor, and I do all my own work... I still get 35MPG, and I'll eat your V6 mustang and your cobalt and your little "suped up civic" for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day of the week and twice every other tuesday :lol:
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I have multiple degrees, one, a BS in economics. Missouri Western State University. So I usually just explain how the tangency of my budget constraint and indifference curve maximizes my utility. Then they usually quit talking to me. I also like to honk and wave at the SUVs filling up at the gas station when I drive by. For me its about being environmental as well as saving money, plus I just love my festys.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

So far all i have used is the MPG and the insurance and cheap to fix kinda thing, but the washer and driver one is pretty good idea.
                There is no replacement for displacement, except for the turbo in my basement.

Comment

I tell them it's a chick magnet.

Plus little car = big balls! :twisted:
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I just tell them that I actually like my Festiva and drive it by my choice!
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

i say i really like the festiva. i like my old toyota 4x4 van also. im not one of the sheep. you dont like it, i could care less. im not very polite when pple insult me.

guess i would have said to the guy with the old charger, i went through the muscle car phase when i was much younger and gas was much cheaper!

i have a masters degree also, but i dont think that has much to do with personal choice in vehicles.
                      "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by carbonvmax
                        "By the way I paid $600 for it."
                        Actually, I think I paid close to $7,000 for mine.
                        These are all great responses - I will steal liberally from them.

B
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Comment

I usually cuss and complain about how someone stole my good car. Then complain about how much my insurance is and how much gas is to fill up and how when stuff breaks it's usually a 30 minute fix. Then I ask about their car.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Usually telling them how cheap driving is with a festiva makes people understand and if they still make fun of it take them for a ride. My older bro hated it until we drove around in it and he realized that even though its small it rides better than the taurus my old man owns.

Comment

i use my festiva to inspect houses for an insurance company and some of the streets have no driveways so i have to park on the street so it helps to have a small car.

Comment

Working...
                              X