Silly repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly repairs

Didya ever put absurd amounts of time and effor into fixing something, instead of just buying a new part like you should have?

Case #1: A couple months ago the muffler on my yellow car essentially fell off. It was rusted so bad where the tail pipe came in that it broke, tilted, and rubbed on the ground. I hate exhaust work, so I figured I'd take it to some McMuffler place and have them go at it. But then I started thinking "Well heck, I've got all these tools and stuff, might as well use 'em!" So anyway, several hours, some fence post tubing, some sheet metal, a few beers, and 50' of welding wire later, the old muffler was ready to go (again). Also gave me an excuse to buy a reciprocating saw from harbor freight to clean up the end of the tail pipe :lol: Still working fine - sucess!

Case #2: Got to looking at the radiator fan situation on my blue car this afternoon. Turned out that the motor was hard to turn, and made horrible grinding sounds when forced to. Took it out, took it apart, and discovered that the permanent magnets had come loose inside. Several hours, several beers, lots of parts cleaning, and some epoxy glue later it's back together. Runs, but the wires feeding it get hotter than hell in just a few seconds. I'm thinking there must be a short in the armature windings. I suppose I could rewind it... Nah! I see a junk yard trip in my near future

the flange on by mid pipe rusted off and the pipe fell
    i cut the end off the cat and made this mess

89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

That definately qualifies!

Comment

Sounds more like an excuse to drink beer!
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

I had an old TV that would occasionally lose the signal and go to snow.

So one Sunday afternoon I took it apart and resoldered every connection on the circuit board. Took about 5 hours and was a real pain in the arse but the TV has worked fine ever since!
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I love fixing things , and not having to spend money at a shop if I do not need to .

It is a great feeling to actually take things apart , finding the problem and repairing it .

Especially if it is something that is not supposed to be taken apart :lol:
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
              I love fixing things , and not having to spend money at a shop if I do not need to .

It is a great feeling to actually take things apart , finding the problem and repairing it .

Especially if it is something that is not supposed to be taken apart :lol:
              Well said.....

I spent over 25 hours this past week just fixing things. I had a complete week off, and not one day went by that I didn't have the welder out, or the jack and jack stands, pressure washer... something...

I spents hours welding up brackets for my seats that could probably be purchased somewhere, and even riveting sheet metal on my off road trail rig to make it look presentable..

I HATE having other people work on my junk. Every time I take a car to the shop for exhaust work, I just cringe, if I had a lift and a pipe bender, I swear, it would never happen again....

Mental note, save up for a lift and an exhaust pipe bending machine...
              Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
              http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
              My Garage Page:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Re: Silly repairs

Originally posted by Dave G
                Didya ever put absurd amounts of time and effort into fixing something, instead of just buying a new part like you should have?
                Yes. It's pretty much what I do. It drives me crazy, it drives my friends crazy, and it's a great way to while away a Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Damn i shoulda saved my fence-post exhaust, and show off my 90 degree bend in my custom header i had on my old b6 engine setup
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Re: Silly repairs

Originally posted by Dave G
                    Didya ever put absurd amounts of time and effort into fixing something, instead of just buying a new part like you should have?
                    Or, I could've said "Yes, my Festiva."

Comment

Festiva!!Festiva!!! ccasion5:

Comment

yep I have.. spent 2 weeks of my sparetime trying to get a regular carpet into my car to replace the old grey one. first attempt... try and just set it in there without the old carpet.. then with... didnt look good. or anything... so i cut it down smaller... still didnt fit right... decided to go find some double sided tape (so i could make a big mess to clean up later i guess..) so i then moved on to try and tack the black carpet down to the original carpet with fishing wire in trouble areas (this made it worse.. and took a long amount of time, apparently my sewing skills are a little out of date), so i went to wal-mart to get some velcro for my final attempt... it fit nice.. looked nice.. but while i was out doing the velcro shopping my girlfriend shampood, vaccuumed and really got alot of the stains out of the original carpet. so i decided to scrap the black carpet and go with my shiny new looking grey carpet. lol problem solved! i should consult her more often...

Comment

I've got an exercise in futility coming up soon. I'll be swapping out my heater core, and attempting to dry out my carpet, underlay and soundproofing materials. Ever tried getting antifreeze to dry out of anything? Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                          X