maintance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintance

hey guys im going to buy a new air filter and some different plugs before long also a new disty cap as i have not changed that, but the plugs, i replaced with bosh plats, (before i knew about nkg or whatever) and new wires and rotor button, and the filter is about a year old but its getting dirty, its a purolater but i want something a little less restrive, and also a new pcv valve,

but question on the plugs, do i buy them pregapped at whatever or just gap them on my own, i dont remember what the gap is for the b3's so anyone wanna let me know?
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

bosh plats that have multiple ground electrodes are pregapped the auto store looks it up.
    *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

Insofar as *exact* spark plug gap is important (which I doubt), you should always check them before installing. They can get bumped in shipping, not be set right anyway for your particular car, etc.

Comment

The gap should be .039 to .043 according to my Ford manual.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

ok guys tonight i got off early, so i went to advance and bought another air filter, i didnt think mine was that bad but compared to the clean one omg i can see a diffrence lol. also bought ngk spark plugs and put them in as well as a new disty cap. i think i found the source of my rough idle, my plug wire on number 3, when i pulled the plug wire off the connector from the wire to the plug was still on the plug, luckly i had been given a brand new set for a v8 and so i grabbed one of the shorter ones and put it on, it didnt seem to idle rough when i drove it around the park, ill know FOR sure tomorrow after school. spent 32 bucks on that stuff and another 17 on gas, went back down to 2.99 here a cpl days ago.

Comment

Gap the spark plugs .39 or the smallest you can. Remember as they wear the bigger the gap gets. If you had bosch's most likely that was the source of rough idle. I've had many wires do that before I figured out the trick. Twist and jiggle.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I'm running Bosch Platinum Pluses now, regapped to .042 for my B6.

I take it many folks prefer NGKs? Do they foul up slower? My Bosches seem to foul up with a thick white coating. I just cleaned off and regapped this last set. I have no coolant loss, so a bad headgasket is not in the cards. Engine has about 92K miles on it now.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

welp i think the wire was the problem, it didnt rough idle at all when i was driving to and from school

Comment

Working...
                X