A new personal best! 45.59 MPG!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new personal best! 45.59 MPG!!!

I've been making some subtle modifications, almost all aesthetic, to my festiva over the last 9 months i've had it.....in those 9 months i've had a best of 41.87 MPG.

Well, I recently installed the throttle body half of an Aspire intake tube to help eliminate some restrictions as well as clean things up by removing the resonator box on the valve cover. At the same tie i bumper my tire pressures up just a hair as well as began occasionally shutting the car off at light that i know to be long on my daily commute to work....and the result this far, a new best of 45.59 MPG.

This is with the dirtiest air filter i've ever seen mind you, and I just installed a new one before filling the tank so hopefully numbers improve more still.

My next step, after a couple weeks of driving with the new filter is to clock the VAF as described by Dave G and see just how much it will help if at all.

I've had an Excel spreadsheet set up since i bought the car that automatically calculates fuel cost saving vs driving my SVT daily and today alone i saved $26.18 in gas.

Since it's first full-up on 9/9/06, I've put 17,304 miles on her, mostly trouble free, and have saved to date a total of $817.52 in gas. Vehicle purchase price: $500
    99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
    98 SVT - PRT R&D car
    90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

You can log your gas usage at www.gassavers.org and it'll graph it etc. You've got aways to go to catch up with me :wink: I've averaged almost 53 mpg for my last 3 tanks.........
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Do you have pix of how you used the aspire intake tube? i thought i remember looking at that, i thought it wouldnt work
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

Way cool. Would love to hear about the Aspire mod. I'm stuck at at 41.5 and could use another tweak to get me nearer my goal of 46.

B
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Comment

Great job! How long is you daily drive. What are the road conditions and how fast are you averaging. I only get 35@65mph straight interstate. 4 speed :roll: Now go update your web site so we can see what mods you have done
          Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
          Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
          Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

Shoot, I get 36 at 70-75 interstate and city combined, WITH A B6!

If you do a LOT of interstate, I hear you can get a few tenths by removing your side mirrors and more by rolling your windows up and just using the vents...

Hypermiling is cool... but not my cup of tea..

Keep at it, I still think its cool....
            Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
            http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
            My Garage Page:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

My commute is just under 30 miles and consists of a bout 2/3 back roads and 1/3 highway. Speed limits vary on the back roads from 25-45, but I'm usually doing around 35-60...so I'm not driving like a grandpa to get better MPG, i'm basically just shutting the car off at opportune times where i can coast and maintain speed, am coating to a red light, or sitting at a long light. Keep in mind that I only shut the car off a few times before i recorded this mileage. This tank I'm being a fair amount more diligent about it but i'm by no means the kind of person that does this as often as possible because I think it's fun. I'm doing it every so often for the sake of fuel economy and to see just how effective it will be.

As far as pictures, I'll try and get some taken ASAP. The aspire intake tube is literally a 15 minute job with a ratchet, screw driver and a hacksaw.
              98 SVT - PRT R&D car
              90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

have you taken it out for a long highway trip just to see highway mileage?
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

usually about 42 strait highway at 75mph...
                  98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                  90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

any pix of that intake?
                    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                    RIP 90LX

Comment

I took a few the other day, I'll try and get them uploaded and posted tonight.

~Josh
                      98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                      90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

Aspire intake tube pictures posted in custom engine and drivetrain....

~Josh
                        98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                        90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

Working...
                        X