Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Body Fuel Injection Systems

Hi Guys,
    Not been on the forum for a while due to work committments and not really having a lot of spare time on my hands.

I've made a few posts in the past about our (JDM) '93 Mazda 121 and the miserable power output and 24mpg fuel economy!

I'm wondering if this could be anything to do with the MAF sensor?

Shot in the dark really, however, did the US variants of the Aspire come with single point fuel injection?

What I'd like to know is what happens when the MAF has a problem - what are the symptoms?
    Tell it like it is...not how it should be

My 90 and 92 festivas run on mechanicl old-skool style vane airflow meters, the later Aspires use modern MAF sensors, like you should have. Low power and crudulated fuel mileage are definetly signs of a poopy MAF, but could also be about a thousand other things too! You will certainly need to delve into some diagnostic work before "throwing" a MAF at the problem, there just too expensive to guess at. But as an example I also own a 1998 Volvo V70 Turbo Wagon with a bad MAF; the initial symptoms were intermittent stalling and an occasional stumble off idle or momentary lack of power (mileage has never been checked), as the condition worsened the check engine light also came on, I forgot the DTC, but it was also related to the mass airflow circuit. Cleaning the MAF can be worth a try but don't use any over violent chemicals, blasting away with throttle body or brake cleaner should be sufficient; in my case it did no good, a week later and I was stalling out again.
    So...now it's time to "throw" $300 at Bosch.
    Good luck, and definetly check out other components as well.

Comment

Working...
    X