Sunroof Pros and Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof Pros and Cons

I don't have one yet, but I thought I'd start a thread on sunroofs.

I have driven cars with the inexpensive pop up glass 'roofs. One was a Plymouth Sundance driver's ed car and the other was a friend's Metro. Here I'll address the cheap "pop up on the back edge" glass sunroofs, which I believe can also be removed & stowed away. (We'll assume the installation has been done right and there are no quality or leakage problems.)

Advantages:

1. Fun! Nice to have some more sun and breeze sometimes.

2. May help ventilation and also keep the car cooler when parked with it open or removed.

3. When opened with the back tilted up, it reflects the sound of other cars approaching from your rear in traffic. (Noise really bounces off that glass.) It can thus help your awareness of things coming up from behind you when tilted open.

4. It could come in handy when transporting something otherwise too tall to fit normally. (This is probably a rare thing though.)

5. It may add value to a car.

6. It could allow you to better watch for Highway Patrol planes and helicopters checking for speeders.

7. An extra exit point in an accident where you may be wedged in and/or your doors won't open.

Disadvantages:

1. It provides another place for a break-in. This goes especially if you forget to fully close and latch it or if you leave it off the car and forget about it. Also could be another quick and easy piece of glass for vandalism.

2. Same as above for rain: It'll provide a nice soaking for your interior if you forget!

3. It could break or malfunction, whereas a solid roof would be pretty "idiot proof." It's also additional glass which could shatter in a bad accident.

4. At night, especially with overhead street lighting, it allows excess light into the car and can mess up your view into your day/night mirror. (Too many reflections.)

5. Kept closed in the sunshine, it allows more heat to build up in your car faster.

6. Reduces privacy in some situations. (Again, probably rare.)

I really liked the "sound reflection" qualities I had in that driver's ed Sundance. I also simply enjoyed the "change" of having one in the car.

Comments from others? Especially those of you who already have one. Just be sure to specify what type, so we aren't talking "apples vs. oranges."

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I wouldn't trade my ragtop up for anything and it's about 3 times larger than a sunroof.

Simon
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

i like to call em moon roofs. i hate the sun and would never open a moonroof in sunlight.

Comment

There's a difference between a sunroof and a moonroof. Sunroofs are pieces of glass that pop up on one end, while moonroofs completely retract into the roof of the car.

I prefer the latter.
        GT

Comment

Disadvantages:

1. It provides another place for a break-in. This goes especially if you forget to fully close and latch it or if you leave it off the car and forget about it. Also could be another quick and easy piece of glass for vandalism.
          Although it also gives you an easy way to retrieve those keys that are locked in the car still in the ignition - found this a very handy feature in the past, lol :tongue8:

Comment

Well I've had 2 Festivas with sunroofs 1 was already on the car when I got it. (sold since) And it leaked bad.. I tried everything.. couldn't find a replacement seal either.. My black Festiva I installed a SFC like the one installed here http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/su...nroof_install/ It wasn't too hard to do just make sure everything is in the kit BEFORE you start..

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred
              There's a difference between a sunroof and a moonroof. Sunroofs are pieces of glass that pop up on one end, while moonroofs completely retract into the roof of the car.

I prefer the latter.
              according to our body engineering page, a sunroof is glass and a moonroof is metal. Doesn't matter whether it slides into or on top of the roof
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

another disadvantage is that you are technically weakening the structure of the roof a bit with a sunroof/moonroof. regardless of a piece of glass being there or not, your roof will not be as strong with a hole in it as it will just a solid piece of metal. the weakening is fairly minimal but if you plan on autocrossing the car or whatever, it may not be a good idea.

Pics of the Tiva
                Pics of the Cavi

Comment

According to GM specks

According to GM the moon roof fully retracts and is open when your driving, where as a sunroof is characterized as a pop up window. This is from the all the GM owners manuals I have, lets just say, don't buy GM, i have alot of manuals.

Logan

Comment

Advantage

Well maybe its not really an advantage.. But the ladies do tend to like them :lol: .. correct me if I'm wrong :wink:

Comment

huge oversight for the disadvantages.

101: Sunroof reduces stregnth of the car, reducing rigidity of the chassis which is NOT good for handling

102: Adds weight up high which screws teh center of gravity. Again HORRIBLE for handling!

103: Pain in the ass power ones like to jam up all the time. Both i've used jammed up one way or the other. my mx3 one has to have a lil nudge upward for the thing to go backwards above the car b/c the seal gets stuck all the time

104: They cost money that could be spent on more useful things

100001: they just suck in general!
                      Wil
                      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

bah.. don't listen to Wil.. they are cool. I've had mine installed for 2 years. It is removable, never leaks, I tinted it when the windows were done so it doesn't get hot inside, it's better than leaving a window down a crack in the heat because someone is more likely to question someone getting in through an open sunroof than yanking down the window. IMHO, with the sunroof closed and locked, it has pretty good structural stability mainly because it does weight a little more. Besides that, people love to stand up through it while driving down the beach.. :sunny:

Comment

I firmly support any combination of sunroof/moonroof on a car...sometimes they get a little crazy (I'm looking at you Pontiac G6, Scion TC, Nissan Maxima) but I like them.
                          Save your pity for the weak.

Comment

I'm with Wil, if you are into purpose performance then no there is absolutely no reason to consider it for all the above reasons. The Festiva especially, succumbs to ALOT more body flex during handling even more so than most other cars and will obviously be even worse with a sunroof. But for looks/chicks/and the almighty cool factor, sunroofs are the sh1t... It's all up to you and what you want out of your car. -Kyle
                            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

yep, if you don't give a shit about handling or the dynamics of the car, get a sunroof made out of cast iron lol

otherwise don't even botha!
                              Wil
                              02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                              00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                              05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                              93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                              96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                              93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Working...
                              X