Canadian street racing laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian street racing laws

This is from another site, more people should do this..

Quote:*I have written this letter in response to the article in the Toronto
    Star recently. (http://www.thestar.com/News/article/227464).

I have also sent this letter to the Attorney General, and I plan on
    sending it to several other Government Officials as well as posting it
    on every Car Enthusiast Internet Forum I am a part of. I would
    appreciate it if you also posted this letter on your webforum, also post
    this link to the Attorney General's email.
    (http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o.../feedback.asp*). *We
    need to fight this as a community of car enthusiasts.

Let's get the word spread!
    *Regarding the issue of crushing cars...

I find it reprehensible that a country as free as Canada would stoop to
    such a close minded, Fascist theology as to think they can control the
    instances of deaths on the highways by targeting a cross-section of
    society that has been over popularized by the media, TV, and movies.
    Since I have been involved in the hobby for several years, I can attest
    that there is a large difference between someone who puts stickers on
    their car and drives like a complete idiot, and someone who tunes their
    car to more suit their wants in a car.

Being a car tuner myself, I would like to separate myself 100% from the
    "morons" that street race putting their lives in danger, not to mention
    the innocent lives of others.

With that, I have a few points to make:

1: Do you crush cars of drunk drivers? No? Why not? They kill more
    people in a year that street racing fatalities. SEVERAL times over.
    But, I guess drunks have a "Social Problem", and they need help..
    Heaven forbid they are accountable for their actions.

2: Do you take guns away from people that own them within the legal
    parameters of the law? Well, wait, you tried that.. I guess the Gun
    registry WAS a bad idea after all. Billions and Billions of dollars
    later... No, you do not.

3: On what basis can you justify taking someone's vehicle? The same
    vehicle they go to and from work with. The same vehicle they go to the
    grocery store and buy groceries for their family. The same car they
    make a living on. Not to mention the THOUSANDS of car-modding related
    jobs that will be terminated because of the backlash of this
    close-minded "proposed" bill. For a Government so caught up in jobless
    rates, employment statistics, and things of that nature, this is not a
    wise move.

4: Define "Balance of Probabilities". In a legal sense, this term
    means 50%+1. Are you going to give Law Enforcement of this Province a
    course on what exactly makes something fall under the guidelines of the
    law, or are you going to send them out there to use their
    "Interpretations" just as you did a few weeks ago when a co-worker
    received a ticket for driving a "Commercial Vehicle" that was only 3500
    Kilograms, even though he TOLD the OPP officer that he was incorrect in
    issuing that ticket. Hopefully this will not turn into ANOTHER
    incorrectly enforced Provincial Offence in the already over-crowded
    HTA/Provincial Offence Library.

It is truly unfortunate that the people we have elected to represent us
    have been so far removed from society that they begin to cave into peer
    pressure from special interest groups that threaten to cry and moan if
    they do not get their way. The proof is in the pudding when I say this:

Politicians are too far removed from the life and society of their
    constituents. Black and White.

Fear not, repercussions will be felt if this Fascist, Close minded,
    Ignorant proposal hits paper. The people of Canada will stand up for
    their rights. If this atrocity of a law comes to pass, I am certain
    most associated will be voted off the "Hill" to live life as the Common
    Folk.

I expect a response for my concerns. I believe I have made enough
    relevant points to warrant an in depth answer.

Best Regards,
    Matt Portiss
    St. Thomas, Ontario

i dont know how they can justify literally stealing the persons car, and crushing it. taking away their license to drive seems a more logical punishment.

good point about crushing the drunks cars, never happen!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

This is a great article and I reallyhope it makes waves in Canada, and maybe some waves down here in the USA.

Comment

yea i saw that on the news. they were crushing a few rice mobiles, and making the owners watch.
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

I have to pipe in on a couple of points, Matt.

1. I don't think it is wrong to seize and destroy items used in the commission of an offense. I strongly believe that this policy should be extended to impaired drivers as well. The only way to really make the message hit home, is to hit people where it hurts. It seems often that when someone is stopped for street racing, and they are ticketed, the next thing they do is go to their favorite internet forum and bitch about getting tagged for what they did, and then they do it again, because they see themselves as "rebels" of a sort.

If someone's going to repeat, as a way of dealing with their misguided anger for an offense, then they deserve what they get.

2. I do take issue with the way the law has been worded. I feel it allows too much interpretation by individual officers in deciding what charge, if any, should be laid against a perceived offender. As with any other law, there will need to be a strong set of checks and balances in place to offset bogus charges laid by law enforcement officials who are not fully versed on the law and its' meaning. I have run into several officers over the years that were not fully aware of the spirit of the laws they were hired to enforce, and therefore enforced it incorrectly, thus clogging the courts with bogus tickets that were summarily dismissed by judges.

3. Name calling completely obliterates any objectivity in this context. You do make some good points, but in calling the policy 'fascist' you are, by extension, referring to the people legislating it, and the very people you are writing to as fascist as well. That will completely discredit your argument against these policies, and paints you as an aggressor. It's not good to have the people in power feel that you are an aggressive individual.

Anyway, with all that out of the way, my feelings regarding street racing are strong, just as strong as they are about impaired drivers: the devices/items/vehicles used in the commission of a crime can and should be confiscated. Whether they are crushed, impounded or sold at auction is of no real concern to me. The blame for the car being destroyed should lay solely on the head of the person committing the crime, and not on the people who are simply doing their jobs, trying to make our streets safer.

I do agree with you that this legislation is a "flavour of the week" sort of thing. Like anything else, interest in this subject will pass, just as it did with dangerous dogs and SARS.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Comment

Dangerous dogs hasn't passed down here.

They're going to outlaw pit bulls in Pine Bluff.

Cocker spanials and Dalmations do more damage.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

i still dont see seizing their cars. fine them, take their drivers licenses. or make them sell the car or serve jail time if they refuse. make them ride with officers that work accidents. but seizing property for traffic offenses like that isnt right. but it is just a way to get fast headlines. there are better more equitable ways to make the same point of no tolerance to drag racing.

and in regards to pit bulls, people always blame the dogs. owners can make any dog mean. jail the owners. ive had 2 pit bulls, both way more gentle than terriers ive had as far as snapping. i also have a rottie, another that gets a bad rap. ive taken in strays for 20 yrs and worked at shelters. so i know dogs. governments reactions to the problems are not always sensible. make that seldom sensible. :roll:

maybe they should out law stupid people in pine bluff instead of pit bulls. :lol:
              "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

i am totally against the street racing law, because what if some young kid is driving their parents car, do the parents deserve to have their car crushed because of what their kid did? no, but i would agree if they took a drunk drivers car

i do beleive that there are better ways to punish street racing

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Until they are 18 the kid is your responsiblity. Doesn't matter what car they are driving, but I am still against the stupid laws up in Canada for street racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd
                    Until they are 18 the kid is your responsiblity.
                    True, but there are some kids older than 18 that still drive mommy and daddy's car

basically the point i was trying to make is what if the driver doesn't own the car

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Taking away the car for the first offense I do not see as appropriate....but if that person is a repeat offender then by all means I do not see a problem with taking it and doing whatever they want with it. If it is a kid driving a parents car then the kid gets busted for racing it....you better not let your kid drive your car again...because then you are only becoming an enabler and if you know there is a possibilty they are gonna race it..... then you assume all the responsibilty and have to pay the price for what happens.
                      They deffinately need to confiscate repeat offenders cars when they are drunk drivers....might help curb them from driving anymore...as it would become very expensive to keep replacing cars. Right now it is no big deal to them because they will just drive without a license or insurance knowing that they will only end up with a fine...over and over and over and over again. Laws definately get handled differently all the time , and that sucks....but if there is a law against it....and you know there is....and you decide to go and do it anyway....then you deserve what you get. No matter how unfair you think it is.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by todd00
                        seizing property for traffic offenses like that isnt right.
                        This is where the fine line stands. Since street racing has now been classified as a felony, rather than as a traffic offence, it is being treated the same way as when someone uses their vehicle as a weapon.

If it is classed as felonious, then the authorities have every right to do with the vehicle what they will. I still don't know if it's right to class this type of offence as such, even though I have very strong opinions on the matter.

Jim

Comment

All I know....no matter what my opinion is, I agree/disagree, if you tell me that if I go race my car and I get caught you will take it and crush it or just plain sell it.....I am not gonna do it. If I do and I get caught....that is my own stupid fault and even though I would be mad about it...the only real person I have to blame is myself.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^ + 1
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I have a license plate frame that says " Hell yes I street race" its on my Mustang!
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

Working...
                              X