Plugging heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense taken!

I'm going to have a Fred Sanford Festiva soon....

Like my neighbour. He has a really beat up yellow Festiva that has a blue hatch and a red fender and no front grille. I'm surprised the thing still is driven; it's a piece of crap. The interior is ripped up and filthy and the outside is covered in dents.

I don't have much money, and the A/C isn't helping things! That's one big reason why I'm considering converting to 134a - it's cheap and can be bought over the counter.

Dj - I don't think it'll snow here any time soon...

What I did was take one of the heater core hoses and make a bypass so that the coolant flows through it instead of the heater core. Cost me nothing to make and is completely reversible.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Well, I guess it's the "old guy" in me.. To me it's a sad thing to see a Festiva that has been scabbed and re-scabbed together.

I just had a guy come over wanting me to fix his Festiva.. I opened the hood and closed it and said "No thanks" He had had a fire in it at one point and used a combination of wiring harnesses from a B3 and a B6.. wire splices everwhere.. Melted components on the firewall, the whole bit.. There is no way I would even touch that crap. Unless I were getting paid to rewire the entire car the RIGHT way. Which of course, would be more than the car is worth.

But Tim, I've seen your car.. it's nowhere near Fred Sanford... At least not Yet.. :roll:

Comment

Yeah. It's got a way to go before then.

It's already starting to look like a Sanfordmobile, since the front seats are mismatched... :happy8:

Right now the thing runs OK and since I have college to pay for the Festiva will have to survive a couple more years...
        ---

I agree with you on messed up Festivas. If the car is that bad, it's an act of mercy to scrap a Festiva than to keep patching it together. Seems like the body goes before the engine, though...

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
          ^^^No offense was intended towards you.. I was speaking to the "crowd" as it were. I'm just one of those guys that believe if a job is done right the first time, there is no need for a second time. I've had a few "Fred Sanford" Cars, but usually because the previous owners didn't do the job right the first time, the 2nd time or however many times they attempted a cheapie fix.. But 20 bucks is pretty cheap IMHO. Personally I'd rather have the vacuum operated relay version than the t's and valves.. Just so I could flip a switch inside, instead of having to open the hood and manually turn the heater core on.
          thanks for taking time explaining things to me.

i borrowed an AC thermometer from a friend so i can measure the difference after i bypass my heater core. the bypass thing did not improved my AC performance at all. it still reads 77F on full stop, 69.8F while running over 50mph. outside temp is 98.6F!!!!

im considering upgrading to a slightly bigger compressor. from a sanden 507(Displacement: 7 cubic Inches) to a 508(Displacement: 8 cubic Inches), hope this thing solves my problem.....

Comment

Maybe we can get mrdavies to tell us if he used the stock evap when he swapped to the larger compressor on his B6DE swap. It blows ice cold!!!

Comment

Working...
            X