cant low idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant low idle...

when i first got the car, the idle was set at 1300, if i adj the idle any lower than that (900) i have noticed the tach slightly jumping between 900 and 1100, and i can hear a missing (puff puff) sound from the tail pipe, as i mentioned before, the valves were propably never adjusted by the original owner, they were really chattering, i adj them and now am wondering if the valves have to reseat or some buildup on them maybe causing this slight miss sound,,,,,or, should i look for another reason why i cant lower the idle and cure this sputtering at low rpms...
    previous cars to fix up;
    86 300ZX
    85 RX7 GSL
    88 Corolla FX
    89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Try the sea foam first. Have you done a compression check? Is there oil in the antifreeze? Maybe needs a new O2 sensor?

David

Comment

is that hot or cold idle? when i first start my car and it's cold it idles at 1200 - 1300 rpms. then drops down to around 400.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

1300 hot, seems as if i cant get it any lower than 900 with idle screw all the way out,,,something may be sticking,,,,but still have the slight miss, may change plugs and clean the dist....
        previous cars to fix up;
        86 300ZX
        85 RX7 GSL
        88 Corolla FX
        89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

check and see if the wire, i think ,comes off the choke is hooked up to the alternator. my brother in law bought a 88 festiva and would not idle down like yours. his wire was disconnected at the alternator.hooked it up, reved engine up and it instantly dropped down to 600 rpm.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
          X