Running like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running like crap

I thought I had posted this yesterday but seems that it didnt show up.I have a 92 festy that was running great, doesnt burn or leak oil. Chatters a bit but nothing serious
    Then it started to hicup once and awhile. run and smooth then miss.
    then the other day it started to run real rough till it seem like it was running on 2 cylinders.
    just want to know what i should check to solve the problem. im thinking something electronic but what do i know.
    any info or links to this problem would be a great help.

tx in advance

First I'd try wiping off the ignition wires and distributor cap with the proverbial clean dry rag. I might also remove the spark plugs and wipe them off too, noting the nature of the deposits.
    Um well, since I have a vacuum guage, what I'd really do first is warm up the engine, plug it in and watch the needle... then I'd wipe off the wires.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Re: Running like crap

Originally posted by put put
      I thought I had posted this yesterday but seems that it didnt show up.
      It did show up!
      But because it was appended to another thread instead of its own thread it was removed
      by the moderator, as it should have been!

In it's own thread it get more attention and the responses will be tailored to your question.

I agree with WmWatt on this!
      Old ignition wires can in high humidity environments cause the issue you are having.
      Also spraying wires with WD-40 then wiping with the clean dry rag can also help determine what the problem is.

Also in your profile (top of this page) putting your location in can be helpful in terms of having someone close by to give you a hand.
      As well as help determine the environment that your festy lives in!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

try this, run the engine (warm) and then take a screwdriver or other long, blunt, SOLID object and place one end to each of the injectors and the other end against the outside of your ear (that lil bump of flesh right in front of the hole). if you notice one or two of the injectors not clicking, or clicking quietly, firmly tap that injector and if the engine's condition changes, you know your problem...

sticking injectors can happen out of the blue while wires usually fail more slowly and are masked by the ignition system still being able to create a spark.

i'm betting on the injectors
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

thanks for the info so far, i will try these ideas out and I imaging if the wires are the problem, then i should replace them.

we are located in alberta, Canada and it has been humid.

I will keep you posted.

Comment

update

I sprayed the wires and distributor with wd and it started and was running perfect.

it seems it starts to miss when the warms up. hot and dry today.
            the temp gauge is normal, antifreeze is fine.
            just starts missing really bad when it hits the normal temp.

is it the plug wires or is what else could be causing this to happen?

im sure it something i can fix, it was fun to drive the hell out of it while was working again.

any help or pointing to a post would be great.

Comment

I would start with a tune up. Plugs, wires, and cap/rotor.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

^^What he said. Mine ran like yours sounds like it's running. Changed wires, plugs, cap and rotor button, and she ran like a new car. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Hey, you guys have some nice rides, my green bean is way beyond customizing but if i find one thats in nice shape, i might.

I will do the wires, cap and plugs.

I will keep ya posted

Comment

Here is an easy test. Fire up your car in the dark with the hood up and watch for sparks. And dont drive the hell out of it.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I finally got around to puting plug wire, distributor and rotor. Runs perfect again

tx

Comment

Where in Alberta? There's at least two of us in Calgary, a couple in Edmonton, I think one in Strathmore and who knows where else.

Cheers
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca
                          Where in Alberta? There's at least two of us in Calgary, a couple in Edmonton, I think one in Strathmore and who knows where else.

Cheers

Medicine hat, sadly we are going to sell the little green tank!!

Comment

Working...
                          X