Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what coolant r u guys using for the festy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what coolant r u guys using for the festy??

hey guys,

just wondering what coolent u guys are using??? OUt here in canada canadian tire sells "global" coolant...which i'm not to sure about, but i figured i 'd ask. I used to have Gm and i just used the GM coolant, but a ford with a korean engine..lol..i'm not too sure.

my coolent is coffee color...which means...it really needs to be replaced, so i need to drain everything. Is there a release valve somewhere under the rad or something? I havent looked yet, but i figured I would just ask first.

thanks.

I just use plain old green antifreeze. The motor is a Mazda by the way.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

yeah theres a drain cock on the bottom of the radiator to drain the coolant. i flushed my system and then just used plain advance auto parts brand 50/50
      1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
      1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
      2000 Trans Am 6 speed
      1997 HD 1200 sportster
      1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

oops..i was thinking about Kia's and I said Korean instead of Japanese...lol.

thanks guys, i was just wondering because I know sometimes certain cars are picky with what fluids u use.

how much litres of coolant does the festy take btw? (too lazy to look in the owners manual..lol)

Comment

Yeah, standard Ethylene Glycol!
          Dex cool not needed!
          If yours is brown, as it is summer, flush that crap out, and refill
          it with plain distilled, de-ionized, or 18MOhn water, run it 30-50 miles and dump, it again!
          redo this till water is clear.
          No use wasting good anti-freeze till all the crap is out!
          Then refill with 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled/de-ionized/or 18MOhn water.
          You should be fine.
          While your at it unbolt the overflow reservoir and clean that out too.
          An old tooth brush helps a lot in getting it clean!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I bought my anti-freeze on sale at CT. The drain plug is at the bottom of the radiator, a white plastic thumb screw. It only drains the rad, not the engine. I also bought the cooling system flush kit where you cut the hose and clamp in a garden hose connection. It was a bitch to install in the tight engine compartment and I have to tighten the plastic plug every so often when I notice little green drops on the garage floor. If I flush the cooling system again I think I'll put plumber's graphite tape on the threads of that plug.

Car care books at the public library will describe how to flush the cooling system at home.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

what about g12 coolant, I have to use it in my VW, other wise he gets angry with me!!! :lol:
              No really check this out:

Chek out the brake fluid also, is quite nice!!! But you have to paid for it!

Comment

Working...
              X