Heater core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater core?

Alright, my friend tells me that my heater core in my 91 festy might be gone. Whenever I turn the heat on, I get a sort of maple syrup smell(which you think I wouldn't mind being in Canada).

Is the heater core gone? leaking? Any ideas?

Sounds like it is leaking. If you are still getting heat, its not "gone" yet, but probably will be soon.
    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Is your water level dropping in your radiator?
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If you can smell it when you turn the heat on, you more than likely have a leak. And the leak can be incredibly small and still have a pretty strong scent. So you may not notice a level drop in the radiator for quite some time. I've never changed one out on a Festiva, so I have no idea what's involved. On some newer cars it can be a nasty job. Sometimes you have to tear half the car apart to get to them.

Comment

I still get heat yes. As for the rad drop..I'd have to check that when I get home.

If it's a leak, is it generally repairable?

Comment

You don't generally repair a heater core, you replace it with a new one.

Comment

Working...
            X