Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plugs are all NGK.. wires on 2 are NGK and Accel on the BP

Comment

Does it make any noticable difference depending on what plugs you use?
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I've never had good experiences with bosch plugs personally.

Unless there's some specific reason to use NGK V's (like they were OEM plugs) I don't see the point. No faith in the gimmick plugs at all.
        www.dantheoilman.com
        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

I have seen dyno results for Splitfire, U-Groove and V-Power. They all do add a small amount of power, but nothing significant. I agree about Bosch. Everything else they make is great, but stay away from their sparkplugs. I use Motorcraft, Autolite, Denso and NGK. Oddly enough I have good luck with Champions in only one application, my Yamaha XS650. It eats NGKs, but likes the Champs? The only place I've tried the Denso was their Iridium plug in a supercharged Briggs&Strat motor, kept melting the others' electrodes....
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

LOL! Supercharged briggs and strat? Awesome.

I've seen dynos showing people gain 15 hp from the "tornado"......

I just changed my plugs today. I was getting the miss again. White tip, slightly carboned edges.....like always.

I really want to try those $6 iridium Autolite XPs, but I can't find them. Not for HP, but because I hope they last longer. I wouldn't spend $12 for denso's though.

I usually use copper in the aspire since they're so easy to change and the plats don't last any longer. But I use double plats in my V8s because it's an hour to 1.5 hours to change them.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

yeah, a supercharged horizontal shaft 5hp Briggs in a mini bike. I took off the Briggs carb, scrounged an emission air pump from a 460, adapted some pulleys to the crank behind the centrifugal clutch, and plumbed in a Mikuni 15mm roundslide ahead of the pump. Shaved the head (on a belt sander), ported and polished the runners, relieved the valves. and added a 30" piece of 1" conduit for exhaust. Fried two clutches with my fat ass on it. Sold it about a year ago.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Reminds me of my Go-kart days. Built one in Metal Shop and put a 6 hp Briggs engine on it. Took the governor off to make it go faster and threw a rod like 3 days later....

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Forget the "Tornado," I'm going for the new "Hurricane." It adds 21% more power and gets better gas mileage to boot.

Then I'm installing the new Ebay Elite "Tsunami" water injection module that cools my intake charge and also perfumes my exhaust with the patented "Environmental Aroma Effect." That one saves three trees a day and extends the lives of any lung cancer victims in the vicinity.

Gosh those Infomercials are astounding!

Oh, and I bought some Bosch plugs at the Zone but ain't installed them yet. Luxstiva's been a bit lumpy the past few days.

I gotta get my lazy ass out to the garage and take care of business. Maybe tomorrow.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I have worked on Mercedes Benz for a long time now and i have learned one very important thing: if it came with Platinum's from the factory you have to use them, if not DO NOT EVER USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will cause strange idling and performance problems , not immediately but down the road. I LOVE HARRY HOMEOWNER thinking he can improve his performance in his Benz by buying plats!!!

ccasion9:

Comment

Regarding spark plugs, if it makes the engine run I don't really care who made them or if they're galvanised or diamond tipped or whatever.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

my favorites were the guys who would buy the Champion Plat Truck plugs, cheap wires, cap and rotor (Wells), do a tuneup to their 5.8 F150, and then bring it to me cause now it runs like crap. I open the hood, and the first thing I get to tell them is, 'you need a tuneup'. Now I look like an ass, because all the new parts he just put on 'can't be bad, they're new!' Its hard to tell these guys they got taken by advertisements. Hard to tell them with a straight face, anyway! Then I get to remove all these crappy new parts with all deliberate prejudice, and put some decent oem stuff on. Magically, it runs great again. Go figure.......

or they guy who had his 7.5L F350 towed in because it wouldn't start after he did a tuneup? It helps to put a new rotor in after you take out the old one....

and when he got up that morning and got dressed, if he didn't put less on he put........ ?

you guessed it, more on........ (play on words)
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                          my favorites were the guys who would buy the Champion Plat Truck plugs, cheap wires, cap and rotor (Wells), do a tuneup to their 5.8 F150, and then bring it to me cause now it runs like crap. I open the hood, and the first thing I get to tell them is, 'you need a tuneup'. Now I look like an ass, because all the new parts he just put on 'can't be bad, they're new!' Its hard to tell these guys they got taken by advertisements. Hard to tell them with a straight face, anyway! Then I get to remove all these crappy new parts with all deliberate prejudice, and put some decent oem stuff on. Magically, it runs great again. Go figure.......
                          OK Jim, we got your opinion on the plugs, who made the OEM wires, cap and rotors for our cars. When I last got a tune-up on my car and they changed all that stuff out the garage told me: "You'll see a great difference, it will start so much easier" It was actually slightly worse.... so I want to put in the right stuff next time, possibly myself
                          I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

cool! always glad to see someone try something themselves! The best plugs I've used in the Festies is the Motorcraft and Autolite brands. Whatever you do, buy them at an autoparts retailer, not a mass-marketer like Wal-Mart. They get second quality parts. I've had reasonable luck with NGK, but they seem to foul easily and often. Mitsubishi Electronics division originally made the cap, rotor and wires, and I think Denso was the oem plug supplier. As for replacement cap, rotor and wires, look for Bosch, Autolite Professional (must say Professional on the box, don't buy their cheap stuff), or NGK.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                            X