windshield Trim Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield Trim Clips

Ok, tomorrow im going to be pulling a new windshield to replace my cracked one, which should be the last thing to do before i can safety it.

When i was removing the trim around mine, i broke most of the clips. My question, is, how can i remove the trim on the donor car so i dont brake the clips, and how can i remove the clips off the donor car so i can replace my broken ones.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

I bought new ones from an automotive fastener place. Look and see if you have auto body parts supplier in your area and go from there.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I use a couple of wooden door shims Under the trim. Start at the drivers top corner. You have to twist the trim slightly and push outward. You need about five hands to accomplish this so take your time
      Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
      Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
      Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

i thought they were impossible to find, so i didn't even bother looking.

didnt get to pulling a new one today. We practiced on my cracked one and didnt have much luck. my specialty windshield removing wire kept braking and it was crazy hard to cut thru. around the corners i managed to crack the glass.
        RIP 90LX

Comment

get one of those longer, narrow drywall tools. about 6 - 8 inches long and 2 inches wide and very thin. i've seen them used before. just have to be very careful. slip it under the windshield from inside the car and go around slowly.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

I really dont know how people cut the glue with a putty knife. I used a sharpened one to cut around the corners and it was impossible to push through. The rest i did with wire.

I still havnet been able to find clips though. Piston ring didnt have any and they have a pile of clips there.
            RIP 90LX

Comment

theres a moulding removal tool that most auto parts stores sell, that would be your best option. Good luck removing a 14-17 year old windshield without breaking it. Pretty much impossible
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES
                theres a moulding removal tool that most auto parts stores sell, that would be your best option. Good luck removing a 14-17 year old windshield without breaking it. Pretty much impossible
                not impossible for a couple 17 y/o kids! Pulled the glass from the donor yesterday, and put it in my car this morning with a tube of urethane sealant.

Still need to figure out these clips though. At this point Im thinking maybe glueing the trim on with my leftover windshield glue.
                RIP 90LX

Comment

try the removing the clips on the bottom of an aspire windshield, there newer in age, maybe a little more forgiving. Great job on the windshield removal and installation a saw your other post with the attached pictures.
                  The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                  BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                    i thought they were impossible to find, so i didn't even bother looking.

didnt get to pulling a new one today. We practiced on my cracked one and didnt have much luck. my specialty windshield removing wire kept braking and it was crazy hard to cut thru. around the corners i managed to crack the glass.
                    Ask for mazda ones. They might not know the festiva is a mazda.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X