Can't get to Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get to Air Filter

Went in for an oil change, and the attendant could not get one of my bolts off of the casing. I went out there and it just kept on spinning. The attendant said it was probably due to the heat in my engine. So how do I get that bolt to get out of there and to fix this from happening again?

1992 Festiva
    Manual

the pressed in nut on the bottom side of that bolt is spinning in the plastic housing, usually due to corrosion, or being cross-threaded the last time it was changed, not engine heat. Pull the assembly out, hold the nut with pliers, and unbolt.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thank you for that. I got the housing off, but the gold covering that was in the slot came out too with the bolt. I can put it back in, but it will not stay tight. I did change the air filter, YAY.

Also when I was meddling with the housing, I was stupid and took off the electronic air filter computer part. I am really bad at explaining it, but the sensors and wires on top of the air filter that regulates the air flow. The plastic housing for the wires that connects with it also broke. Gawd, I hate working on cars. So now that wiggles and of course if you press down while the car is running, it shuts off. I think I just caused more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatbowler
        Also when I was meddling with the housing, I was stupid and took off the electronic air filter computer part. I am really bad at explaining it, but the sensors and wires on top of the air filter that regulates the air flow.
        Van Airflow (VAF) Meter, that is the part that I missed with. I opened it and it wouldn't come out, duh Ryan (me), and I just put it back, but the plastic connection was deteriorating and now it wiggles. I have no idea how to fix that bolt problem so that it makes a tight fit. If anyone can help me, please some advice would be great.

Comment

Working...
        X