transmission spedometer removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission spedometer removal

I tried to remove the spedometer from my 88 carbed 4 speed festiva and when I pried on the piece to get it out it broke... I don't want to use PB blaster because I don't want to have it soak into the transmission... any ideas? I was trying to remove it to check my fluid level and then to replace the ATF. If I cannot remove it can I just drain the fluid and then fill it through the small spedometer hole, without removing the piece that has the driven gear assembly on it? I would just need to put in 2.6 quarts and then that would have to be full... any damage from being too full?

You should be able to get it out, I don't know how broken it is, but if you just wiggle it back and forth it should eventually freeup. If you plan on replacing the fluid then I wouldn't worry about spraying it with PB, it won't hurt the tranny any.

Comment

i know any of the cables i've removed haven't been the easiest to do, just keep twisting it back and forth while pulling out on it

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Were you able to loosen both the nut and the collar and get them out of the way?
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sometimes the speedo gear head can get jammed in the transmission. When this happens I take an adjustable wrench and use to to rotate the housing. This will usually free up any gunk or corrosion. The housing can then be wiggled free.

Jim

Comment

when i reinstall the gear i always put silicone grease on the o-ring and housing to make it easier to remove the next time.
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt
              Were you able to loosen both the nut and the collar and get them out of the way?
              all i have ever done is removed the 10mm bolt that holds the cable in place, twist it back and forth and pull out to remove it from the tranny, i've never taken the cable out of the housing, it's just extra work

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I plan on using engine degreaser on the whole engine/transmission tommorow and then will try to work it loose with an adjustable wrench- thanks for the advice! I didn't want to do it until I got the engine cleaned up because i didn't want some gunk to get in the whole.. I was able to take out the spedometer cable and the cable came out all the way.... I put it back in but the spedometer still doesn't work. I plan on taking the dash apart monday and making sure the plug is all the way in, it feels like it is snapped in from what I can get my hands on it but something must be wrong because it doesn't work....

Comment

Working...
                X