Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mazda 121 (DB) Caliper Repair/Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda 121 (DB) Caliper Repair/Replacement?

Hi There,
    I'm back over in the UK for 3 weeks and running around in my mothers '93 Mazda 121 for the moment.
    I've noticed that the brakes are pulling to the left and after a quick inspection it appears that the caliper on the RHS is pretty well rusted solid and needing either overhauled or replaced, the rubber seals are totally mangled and falling to pieces!

I'm going to to price a caliper repair kit at the local car parts store - probably tomorrow but will also go to the local breakers (wreckers) yard to see if they have anything suitable.

Do any of you folks know which calipers can be used on the Mazda 121 DB which I assume is pretty much identical to the Aspire?

I guess they will have a few KIA models in the yard and probably some Mazda 323 variants but the Mazda 121 DB is a fairly rare car up here in Scotland.

I was looking online at Autozone and RockAuto and I see you can get Aspire calipers faily cheap (after core exchange), so I might just get a repair kit to keep the car roadworthy and then get a set of reconditioned calipers to bring back at Xmas time.

Prices for car parts are crazy over here compared to the USA so if I'm buying parts here I'd rather go for the wreckers option.

Any ideas? :idea:
    Tell it like it is...not how it should be

See if your friend here would send you an Aspire caliper.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
      See if your friend here would send you an Aspire caliper.
      I'm not sure if the Aspire calipers are the same though - perhaps I could take some photos tomorrow and post them with some dimensions to check?

If somebody has decent calipers I'm up for that

I replaced all the brakes on my Nissan 240SX (Florida car) a couple of months back and it's such a treat to work on cars that "live" in warm climates - everything just rusts to pieces over here in Scotland....

Comment

Probably the easiest way for you to see if parts are interchangeable is to check the part numbers in the auto wrecker's universal parts book, or go to a parts store and get them to check the numbers on their computer.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Went down to the local junk yard today but couldn't find any calipers for a 121 on the shelf. Most of the calipers they had for other cars were in worse condition than the current calipers I have on the car right now....

Ordered a couple of caliper repair kits from DAP this evening - they were only $7 for the two. My GF can post them over to me for next to nothing.

If that doesn't work I see you can get reconditioned calipers for around $40 each which sounds pretty good compared to the 65 pounds ($130) I was quoted at the local parts store over here!

Of course, if somebody reading this has some nice clean condition calipers for less $$$'s then don't be too shy letting me know...

Comment

Working...
          X