weird front end rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird front end rattle

my fest is going in for a safety on Wednesday so i took it out tonight for a short drive to make sure everything felt ok. Out of nowhere there is a weird rattle in the front end. i hear it especially when going over bumps. it feels like something is loose, yet i cant find anything wrong up front. anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Hard to tell ..
    It could be a strut , or even a engine mount that is worn out .
    Maybe a swaybar bushing has cracked and squashed out .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

1. Just get under there and pull/push on everything, and visually inspect w/a flashlight.
      2. Maybe there's a tool or a bolt sitting in there that you don't know about.
      3. Really bad strut?

Does it seem to steer OK? I'd especially check anything having to do w/steering.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

if i put my weight on the front bumper the struts seem good, it bounces nicely.

I jacked it up and everything seems firm, nothing loose

Steers straight, and all good..

Im not sure what to say. Its not a tool or anything sitting somewhere. When i first felt it it seemed like a wheel was loose and wobbling almost.

Tomorrow night ill take it out again if i cant find the problem and take a video.

Last time i took it out everything seemed Ok. All i can think of since then is, this afternoon i took off the front wheels and measure my brake pads & rotors to see if they would pass. But i put the wheels back on with an impact gun so there on good.
        RIP 90LX

Comment

You might want check the ball joints on control arm! check engine mounts and bolts, check inner/outler tie rods...

Comment

does it sound like thin steel like maybe a heat sheild or something, or maybe the backplate behind the rotor

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Does the rattle go away if you have your foot on the brake while going over a bump?? I ask this because I too had a strange rattle in the front and I found it to be the brake pads rattling on the rotor while hitting a bump if the brake was not in use. I replaced the weak anti-rattle springs and now all is well.
              1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
              2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

it dosent sound like sheet metal.

b3 madness.. how loud was your rattle? i ask because my M springs are missing... but it seems like something more severe than that.. but i could be wrong
                RIP 90LX

Comment

I had a brake pad retaining pin work itself out once and hit the wheel - was sort of a "rattle" at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G
                    I had a brake pad retaining pin work itself out once and hit the wheel - was sort of a "rattle" at first.
                    one time i actually had both pins come out on me, i never noticed the first one and i heard the second one hit the rim, i was going slow at the time so i pulled over was checkin it out til i seen what was wrong, i had to look for the pin, bend it back straight, reinstall, so i felt safe knowing my pads weren't going to fall out

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by stefan

b3 madness.. how loud was your rattle? i ask because my M springs are missing...
                      It was fairly loud and sharp and could be even heard at freeway speeds when hitting bumps or rough patches. If you do not have any anti rattle clips/springs (M springs) then this could be your problem. I ordered new ones, they cost less than $5, and put two on the offending side.

Again, if you can ride through bumps with light brake pedal pressure and not hear the rattle then I would believe that this is one of your rattles.
                      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
                      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

i picked up pads and springs today. im putting them on now, ill report back later
                        RIP 90LX

Comment

strange... i did the pads/springs and some of the noises have gone away

but theres still the odd nock coming from somewhere, mostly on bumps

i have a feeling its the cv joints.. under hard steering you can hear them clicking
                          RIP 90LX

Comment

doubt that is the knocking....if they knocked they would fall apart. Did you check the strut mount up through the inner fender? jack it up so the suspension is hanging....same with the rear. Try moving them towards the top as best you can. With the cars weight on them they would seem fine when checked...but as it bounces down the road it relieves the pressure and could cause the knocking. Had this happen on a car I once owned.
                            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            There ain't no rest for the wicked
                            until we close our eyes for good.
                            I will sleep when I die!
                            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

How are your wheel bearings
                              it runs so sweet
                              91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
                              X