Guzzleing gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guzzleing gas?

Im not daily driving my fest yet, but in the last week ive put on maybe 40kms and the tank has dropped over 1/4

Whats goin on here? What do i check? The exhaust has the sweet smell kinda like its running ritch.. I bought this beast for the mileage, this is just scaring me now.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Quit drinking it....it is not good for you!
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

our gas gages are really fickle I would suggest going through a whole tank and then filling it up and finding out how many miles a tank you go, that is the only way to know if your gauge is really accurate.

Comment

my 91 is fickel. sometimes it shows near empty when started and ran for five minutes then later the gas gauge rises to one forth of a tank.

Comment

mine will start up around 1/4 then five minutes of driving and its just over a half.... not good considering when my car gets to an actual quarter tank it starts acting like it is out of gas, but it never takes more than 6.5 gallons to fill it.

Comment

Mine is like that as well. My friend said it rises due to pressure buildup, but I think it could be a combination of both. Because mine starts off at probably 60% full and after some driving goes up to 65%+

Comment

well it steadily went down from 1/2 to 1/4 over the course of 40kms maybe so i wasnt sure.

by the way, the car is in the the shop being inspected right now as i type this! finally!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                well it steadily went down from 1/2 to 1/4 over the course of 40kms maybe so i wasnt sure.
                by the way, the car is in the the shop being inspected right now as i type this! finally!
                You'll be fine, all of mine have same problem not so bad as yours,
                but I can go 300 miles on the first 1/2 tank and only 100 to 150 on the last 1/2 tank because it drops fast after the first half.
                But usually can't stuff more than 9 gallons in including the fill tube!

Also if you have emissions and you are really burning that much fuel you will likely fail HC limits!

But me thinks you just have around 1/3 a tank and the gage is notoriously inaccurate at those levels.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

we dont have any emissions tests, but i dont wanna be burning more gas than i have to.
                  what can you check to see if shes running too rich?
                  RIP 90LX

Comment

you can check the colour of the spark plugs as a quick n easy test.

Dark = too much fuel
                    White = too much air

Our Mazda has one done 24 US MPG or 30 IMP MPG since we've had it - that's around 250 miles to the tank maximum.

Never fails emissions tests and the plug colour is a perfect light brown
                    Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

Working...
                    X