Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Boot split

Couldn't find this info anywhere...
    My RF outer CV boot is split open. Please tell me there is a way to replace it w/o having to take the axle off the car, which due to time and tool restraints cannot be done.
    Some older VW Bugs can use a kit that attaches a split boot with bolts/nuts on the spine so you can repair it easily.
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Some years ago you could get split boots for the Mazda 323, but have never had to use one on the Festiva.
    I do know that if the CV joint has been containated with dirt or water, or has slung out all the cv grease.
    It would be a waste of time using a split boot as the joint will fail in short order anyway!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Re: CV Boot split

Originally posted by deathegg
      My RF outer CV boot is split open. Please tell me there is a way to replace it w/o having to take the axle off the car, which due to time and tool restraints cannot be done.
      Some older VW Bugs can use a kit that attaches a split boot with bolts/nuts on the spine so you can repair it easily.
      There are aftermarket generic boots available, but they tend to be junk. I wouldn't bother with them. Since time is a problem, just wrap it in a trash bag and duct tape it, to keep out dirt; then get to it when you can. It takes a lot for a CV axle to go really bad. You can safely drive them if they are clicking only when you go around corners. If they are clicking when you are going straight, then you have a problem. My original CRX CV axles were replaced at 133K miles, and still were not in imminent danger of failing.

As far as "tool restraints", this should be a fairly easy job with normal hand tools. You could tackle it yourself. I'd suggest getting a replacement axle (new or good reman) and put it on rather than screw around with the boot on the old axle. I've been happy with reman axles from www.cvaxles.com. I'm not that familiar with Festys, but I'm sure someone here could chime in with advice. Maybe even PM you a phone number so you could call them in the middle of working on it.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I did the CV boots on our Mazda 121 last year and had a quick peek at them the other day when I was looking at the seized up caliper on the RHS.

They appear to be in perfect condition. I bought some cheap repair boot kits that you glue together with superglue.

The only problem I had was not with the rubber boots and superglue, the problem that we had was the provided clips coming off when the car went in to get the annual inspection done (they call that an MOT over here). Anyhow the mechanic advised that happened regularly with the supplied clips and he fitted a better variety for $10 which was pretty decent I thought.

If your CV joint boots are split over here in the UK the car fails the inspection.....
        Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. By "tool restraints" I mean that I have almost no tools with me here in so.cal. and I just don't have the time.
          It's not making any noise or anything, so I'll patch it up best I can and replace when necessary. Probably moving back to PA this fall, and want to have a good, uneventful trip (as far as the car is concerned).
          Drove here last year on a timing belt that was 30k past it's replacement!
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

Yes, in PA the car will fail annual inspection with a split boot.
            btw.. what does MOT stand for?
            Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg
              Yes, in PA the car will fail annual inspection with a split boot.
              btw.. what does MOT stand for?
              Ministry of Transport.

When you need an MOT for your vehicle, what it costs, what happens if your vehicle fails, and how to get mistakes on the MOT certificate fixed.
              Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

you can get a remanufactured axel for about 45-50 bucks with core turn in...probably your easiest hassle free option.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

^^ Yes that is the best way !!

Complete axle assy. lifetime warranty and you get 2 new joints and boots at the same time , no hassle breaking them apart , to replace the c/v .
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                  Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                  HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                  Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                  Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                  Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                  Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                  90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                  It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                  X