Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY a CUT in timing belt's Upper Dust Cover along crankgear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY a CUT in timing belt's Upper Dust Cover along crankgear?

outline in the plastic cover?

( '90 Festiva L- Plus 1.3L FI 5speed )

A 3 inch curved gash, perfectly aligned along the very top of the crank gear outline in the molded plastic upper cover.

I have the cover in hand, waiting for son to revist me with the car.
    But I'd assume it perfectly matches the location of the teeth of the crank gear, only along the very top position of the gear.

I visited a friend who has SAME IDENTICAL gash in their '93 !

Are previous owners pushing the plastic cover in and hitting the spinning crank gear?
    why?

THANKS !

I've noticed the covers tend to warp with heat. This could be the cause. Also, the rubber gasket behind them tends to slip out, and that also might allow that condition. Not a well designed part, that's for sure.

Comment

^^agreed....I think it is the heat, all I have seen have been like that
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

My father-in-law (a very seasoned auto Honda --ptuey-- mechanic) says that happens when a "little bit" of oil gets on it (most of the time from the inside from either one of the gaskets with a minor leak). It dries the plastic out then the heat tends to finish it off. I have one with 150,000 miles and it is still in perfect condition. There is no oil leak anywhere inside or out so that kind of follows in line with he told me.
        -Bryant

Comment

yes it is the oil. my two festivas have valve cover leaks and oil is on both covers and they are warped.

Comment

^^^ both explanations above are correct cause I've had both conditions with my B3s. You can tell the difference between the two because if the engine does overheat and the cover warps (as opposed to oil being the problem) you will here an annoying squeeling for 50 miles of so as the cover warps outward and contacts the pulley and the pulley eats it way through it. And yes, it is a very poorly designed part
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Your answers are a big welcome relief !

And based on experiences!

Thats why we came HERE to ask questions.

Knowing he has a leaking valve cover gasket to replace and only the heat and oil caused the rip,

I can now rest at ease waiting for him to bring the car over.

THANKS !

Comment

Same thing happened to my 88... went to pick-a-part, got a nice used one from a Mazda....$8.00 Yay!
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                X