Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Exhaust Manifold paint

Hey guys,

I have tried a couple different Exhaust paints and they haven't worked at all on the manifold. I used the 1600 from Duplicolor, but that just flaked off in a few days, and what didn't flake off turned black. What have you guys used?

Thanks,
    Joe
    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

my dad used white ceramic spray on his headers and its working great. i dont remeber where he got it though
    1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
    1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
    2000 Trans Am 6 speed
    1997 HD 1200 sportster
    1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Eastwood has a coating for exhaust that seems to hold up well. It looks like a cast finish.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Re: Need help with Exhaust Manifold paint

Originally posted by wrestler3025
        I have tried a couple different Exhaust paints and they haven't worked at all on the manifold. I used the 1600 from Duplicolor, but that just flaked off in a few days, and what didn't flake off turned black. What have you guys used?
        Make sure you read the instructions for curing the paint. The can I bought, which had ceramic in it, said to let it cure for a week before starting the motor. You could install it after four hours' drying time, though.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I read the directions and followed them to a T, but it still didn't work. I'm not a fan of Duplicolor. I've used their products a few times, but haven't had any success with them. Thanks for the suggestion Brian. Have you used it at all? I don't want to waste my time on prep, if the paint isn't going to perform the way it should.
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

POR high temp paint. Just brush it on. Best stuff I've ever used.

You can see it on my header

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Hey Matt,

What color did you get? It looks like you have black on your headers, but the link you sent me was of Brilliant Aluminum. Does it discolor at all? Thanks for the response

Joe
              92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

Sorry, this is what I have and it is black. http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1462/.f

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Well, the one that you linked me to the first time says that it's resistant to temperatures up to 1400 degrees. The one that you are using now is supposed to be resistant up to 1200 degrees. So I guess that the Por 20 would work as well. My next concern is that I have a cast iron manifold. On the directions sheet it says that it is for steel, which you have.
                  92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

The other thing you could do is powder coat it with high temp powder coat. Again Eastwoods.

Comment

i used the duplicolor blue high-temp ceramic (1200*) on my VC and header, i baked it in the oven and then it sat for about a month b4 it went on the engine, its been on there since monday with about 60-mi on it, and it discolored slightly at first but still is OK, and no flaking or anything.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

That's the exact same one and color that I used Nate. I discolored first, and then it flaked off later. I didn't put mine on for about a month either(because I was cleaning the engine, engine bay and misc. parts just like you:-) I did sandblast and prep the manifold prior to painting it as well. I wiped it down with 91% alcohol just before (10 minutes) I painted it, and did the baking process in stages, as it recommends. Oh, and TominMO on the back of the can it says if you are going to recoat it after one hour you have to wait for 7 days for it to cure. It doesn't say anything about installation.
                        md11mx have you used that product? Thanks for all the replies guys:-)
                        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

I'm not sure if this will really fit, but have you thought about high pressure coating? I had mine done (no idea on $$$?) but it looks good, has kept it's colour, and is supposed to disperse heat??

Comment

Hmm, that doesn't look too bad, but those look like steel headers:-( ....Am I going to need to fabricate some headers for the B3?? I think I just might. Thanks mick,
                            92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

No problem. And yeah, that's a steel manifold. That colour has not faded after 8 hours on the dyno, a power run, and the countless starts and stops from showing the boys.....

Comment

Working...
                              X