Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Transaxle(Transmission)

92 5spd manual festiva L

Okay, i basicly know what i have to do this, the problem is my grandfather is helping me on this project, and he is old and stubborn (been working on cars since 1940) and he is determined that the front end of the car must come off to remove the transmission!

I plan to strap a chain around the engine and attach it to a bar across the hood and just loosen the mounts, if somone could just put in detail and order what i have to take off before i lower the transmission out i'd be grateful. I just need to know routine to do it, so i can give my grandfather the idea of how its done. Thanks for your time,
    Sean

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

- there are 2 connectors that need to be unplugged , ones a reverse sensor and not sure about the other and a ground cable that needs to be unbolted from the tranny
    - remove the starter
    - remove clutch cable
    - unhook the shifter linkage
    - remove the axles
    - unbolt the tranny mounts from the crossmember

once everything is unhooked (doesn't matter what order) jack up the tranny/engine (use a board on the jack under the oil pan of the motor so it won't cause damage to the oil pan) so the tranny lifts off the crossmember

- unbolt and remove the crossmember
    - unbolt the tranny from the motor
    - pull the tranny off the motor and should drop out

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Just a note:
      Before removing axles you can drain the transmission fluid via the drain bolt for a more controlled removal of fluid.
      Otherwise when you remove the first axle it comes out then.
      If your prepared to catch it then, this method will work fine too.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thank you both very much for your time and input, hopefully you won't hear from me over the next few days if all goes well!
        Thanks
        Sean

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241
          Just a note:
          Before removing axles you can drain the transmission fluid via the drain bolt for a more controlled removal of fluid.
          i knew i was forgettin something, thanks John

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The bolts holding the crossmember in can be a real pain if yours has seen much roadsalt. Unbolting the shift linkage is another awkward operation - there's a nut on the other end of the bolt There's one little bolt holding the flywheel cover that's easy to miss too. At least, you should only need 10, 12, 14 & 17mm wrenches.

Comment

Also, if you've never had your halfshafts out or brakes apart, experience says that'll be your first hurdle. On the way back in, make sure to install new pilot & throwout bearings, and change the halfshaft seals.

Comment

Working...
              X