I tink it's fixed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tink it's fixed!

read runs rough then quits, and function of fifth gear switch to see problems.
    I tried:
    rechecking and setting the TPS
    checking the harness
    checking timing
    replacing plugs,wires,cap and rotor
    replaced VAF Had an unknown good one
    hooked up fifth gear switch
    checking for vacuum leaks
    check PCV valve
    replaced O2 sensor $65
    Ordered TPS $60
    Tried or checked most of these things two or three times not necessarily in this order. must have done more checking but can't remember.
    Never could figure out exactly how to pull the codes. The procedure in the haynes manual didn't work. The one listed here was from there and part of it was for OBD II no diagrams either. the haynes manual varied on wire colors for the 6 pin terminal.

Finally in desperation I changed out the ECM. Partly because after each thing I changed I "test drove" the car. The VAF was next to last thing I changed. Each time I drove the car problem became more frequent, I went from about 40-50 mi. for the problem to arise, to about 4-5 mi.
    I said to myself, this thing is deteriorating, I have changed all the major components giving inputs to the ECM but the decline is steady.
    The only thing left was the ECM that must have been dying.
    I will test drive it further and maybe write back,
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

oh ya forgot
    91 festiva L EFI 5 spd.
    the car starts to run rough and loses power, check engine light comes on, then when I stop it quits.
    I then proceed to pull the neg. battery cable let the computer rest a few seconds. hook up the cable and everything is fine for 50 mi. or so.
    then back to the same problem.
    new ignition parts, the sea foamand lucas injector cleaner seemed to work fine.
    I am thinking O2 sesor, but would that actually make it quit.
    also if it is still running in nuetral when this happens I can push on the accelerator pedal and it tries to die til I let off.
    Stumped for now!
    Bill L.
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

Comment

IT"S THERE!
      it runs so sweet
      91 L 5spd

Comment

Does this mean that you found and fixed the problem? I am a bit confused by this post.... :scratch:
        1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
        2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Sorry, yes,
          I tried everything else but the computer. I had wanted to replace the things I did anyway I hope to get 367,000 mi. on mine too. The problem became more frequent but always the same symptoms so I figgered the computer was degrading slowly, I replaced it and all is good in life.
          Thanks, to all the posts on here.
          it runs so sweet
          91 L 5spd

Comment

It wasn't fixed!!! it took many more tries but I think I found it this time, talked to the people at festiva motorsports they said it sounded like a distributor issue I threw another in and it worked.
            it runs so sweet
            91 L 5spd

Comment

You could have saved some money and had the ICM tested for free if there is a parts store nearby which does that. I'd hang onto the old ICM and put it in a plastic bag to protect it from static electrical charges. I hope you bedded the new one in dielectric heat transfer paste (available cheap from electronics supply outlets, NOT Radio Shack.)
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Nah! I just grabbed another Dist off the shelf and ten minutes total it was running! I had wanted to replace many of the things I did replace partly because I am hoping to run this car daily and have cheap, reliable, fun, transport. I tried to replace, rebuild, fix or modify everything I could to that end. there is very little that I have not done on the car and will be able to repair it in the future without much trouble. I had most of the good used parts I used on the project cleaning and adjusting as I went.
                The new parts I invested were to not have to worry about them failing. I can now check out the old distributor which had only 90,000 on it and fix it for future spares. I have another computer, ordered a PCM and have other parts to rely on later.
                I saved plenty of money. It drives like a new car with the aspire suspension and brake swap and I had the car laid up for two years while I fixed and piddled around with it stripped it pretty much down to nothing and started over again. new stero and all.
                I be happy, I think I may have $1200-$1500 invested. in a AZ body. and I drove it 3 yrs. before I started this.
                it runs so sweet
                91 L 5spd

Comment

How much was the ECM? Did you buy it new? If so, from where?

Comment

Had one
                    it runs so sweet
                    91 L 5spd

Comment

Oh and that wasn't the problem I am still finding it try the "B6 stutters" thread
                      it runs so sweet
                      91 L 5spd

Comment

I installed the new optical sensor now all my ignition problems seem solved even the low speed miss or "pop"
                        I also had an issue with the Idle air control motor, that was the bogging and stalling.
                        it runs so sweet
                        91 L 5spd

Comment

it was copper plug wires causing RFI interferance after all that work
                          it runs so sweet
                          91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
                          X