oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil light

So I swapped my festiva with a b6t and the oil light on the cluster is lit. I changed the oil with royal purple 10w30 and used a k&n gold filter. The only reason why I can think that the oil light would be on is that I overfilled it. I am not sure what causes the oil light to come on but I would like to get it taken care of. Any information would be apreciated.

Could be a bad oil pressure sensor or just a poor connection at the sensor. You may try replacing the sensor with a known working one, perhaps from your old engine, and see if that is the problem. Overfilling the oil should not light the oil warning light. Very low or no oil pressure WILL light the oil light. Is the oil light on constant or does it come on just at certain times???
    1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

its constantly on

Comment

Either you have a poor connection, bad sensor, or NO OIL PRESSURE!!......Better hope it is one of the first two and it probably is.
        2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Well the car runs perfectly, not 1 problem so I am sure that my oil pressure is good

Comment

Wait you know what, I believe I have the sensor hooked up that would go to the capri's gauge rather than the one that goes to the festiva gauge.

Comment

That's something you DEFINATELY want to fix :shock:

Comment

Nope its the right sensor for the right gauge. I am wondering now why it is on, it pulls so hard, doesn't leak a drop and doesn't smoke either.

Comment

I thought that the light might be on because it was overfull when I did the oil change and I was right I drained some oil out of it and the light went off. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

How much over full were you running? I do not understand why that would throw on the oil light. My only thought is that an over filled crankcase tends to spin up the oil causing air bubbles to form which may in turn effect the oil pressure.

In any event, I am glad that you were able to find and fix the problem before any possible damage could occur.
                    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

haha the light is back on...

Comment

make sure your sensor is plugged in properly, and if it is a one wire sensor you can ground it directly and see if that causes the light to go out. if it does go out then, you will need a new sensor. if not the guage or wiring is to blame.
                        1990 Festiva, flat-black, cab lights, 7" round headlights, and air horn!
                        ASE-Certified/KIA certified/HVAC Certified Automotive Technician in Medford, OR

Comment

HELP...I got a similar problem with my 90 4-speed. The oil light stays on all the time, even when i take the key out and shut the door. Anybody have an idea on where to strat looking. Im new to these cars and don't have a referance book yet. Where is the guage located???

Comment

good luck hossgreer I have a feeling yours will be a lot easier fix sense you dont have a turbo and its oil pressure to keep in mind and sense you still have the b3 in its designated vehicle.

Comment

Oh, I should also say that the engine is full of oil according to the dip skick...

Comment

Working...
                              X