X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant leak

89 festiva (L?)
    4sp mtx carbed

just noticed the leak from the pulley side of the motor when i was changing the oil yesterday and whe i was almost to work the temp guage was just at about overheating and i could faintly hear it steaming...
    put some water in it after work and it was bone dry. i made it home and ran a few errands and went to a friends house a total of maybe 40 miles and its not overheating but seemed half the water was already gone. question i suppose is whether or not i should try a stop leak or am i looking at replacing the waterpump. i honestly thing i'd rather put water in it every other day than go through the hassle ince i'll be tearing out the motor in a few months.
    thnx for any input and here the brief history and future of the car...

i've had the car all of 3 days and have replaced plugs, wires, oil, filter, and an attempt to ptch a pretty bad exhaust leak. i'm wondering if its causing i picked up the car with plans on doing the sho project. i've owned 2 shos and have decided this to be my next project. i plan on driving it for the next 3 months while i rebuild a motor and at the same time collect all the other aspects of the car i'll be upgrading to such as motor frame, brakes, feul lines, suspension, feul cell, cpu, wiring, wheels, and everything else involved which i can use extra info on if any of the shogun owners wouldnt mind sharing.... i'm still at least a few months out from cutting into the car but would much rather be prepared if only on paper as soon as possible. thnx in avance for ur help and any comments.

Sounds like your water pump may be leaking. They have a weep hole that starts leaking when the water pump goes bad. Its not hard to change and they cost about $35 with gasket. You might pull off your timing belt cover for a closer inspection. Dont get it hot and warp the head thats a lot more $.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

water leaking out by the belt wheels

Hello!
      That is exactly what mine is doing currently. I put some more water in and it is good to go for the time the water is in the system. I just bought a new water pump in hopes that that is the issue. Please let me know what you come up with on this issue. I will do like-wise. I am praying that that is the only issue I am looking at here.
      Thanks!
      Stan :idea:

Comment

ya that was totally the issue and ya i warped the head which was a huge headache to figure out thats what it was.... got the headwork done relatively cheap tho and now with a new pump thermostat head work and twice as thick radiator the motor gets cold on the freeway on any day cooler than 85..... so anoying that after warming the car up it just over cools. the only time it gets to mid temp is when i'm stuck in traffic. i'm about to try a strip of tape over the radiator soon...

Comment

Over cooling Glad you got it fixed.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

this is a two stage thermostat, it helps keep the operating temp where it belongs the standard "Stant" thermostat is cheap but not designed for the Festiva system.
            it runs so sweet
            91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
            X