*Emergency Fix!* - w/Pics - Oh Snap!!! Parking/E-Brake Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Emergency Fix!* - w/Pics - Oh Snap!!! Parking/E-Brake Cable

Was out doing a bit of maintenance on the rear brakes of our Mazda 121 and tried to free up the parking brake linkages with a bit of brute force and WD40...

Well that went quite well and then I decided to adjust the hand-brake and as soon as I pulled it up - the bloody cable snapped at the rear right drum

I'm now looking for either a replacement cable (where to get one?) or a possible fix to attach another cable as a temporary solution.

Any ideas?

Well I did this temporary repair until I get a replacement cable - so far it appears to be working - just need it to hold up until the annual inspection is done next month

Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Fingers crossed

Comment

Right idea, but get the same size cable (do it right :-) ) and consider it permanent. Cut those damn rubber boots off too - they only serve to hold mud and make the cable rust.

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda struggling to find cable that size to be honest - just used a bicycle cable to see if the idea would work. The rest of the cable is pretty well rusted and there is not much flexibility left in it at all.

If I can pick up a used brake cable from one of the Southern states then that'll be a decent option I hope

I'm in FL tomorrow then TX at some point next week where the options should be decent I assume...

Comment

This place in Maryland has 'em for $99:

Comment

That rust will come off with a cold chisel and patience.

I've chipped away at mine twice in the 18? years I've owned my '89 Festiva, and gave it a couple of coats of rust paint (Tremclad) each time.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X