I need fuel and brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need fuel and brake lines

I haven't looked at the auto parts stores yet. I was hoping you guys could tell me of a better place to get them. I need all of the fuel lines and all of the brake lines from beginning to end. What are my options?
    -Bryant

Never replaced fuel lines!
    But have replaced front brake lines.
    I assume you mean the hard lines not the flex lines linking the calipers to the hard lines.
    Anyway, I got mine off a dead festiva and another set from MechanicalDJ.
    But was considering using the fittings from the failed set and having stainless steel one bent and flared.
    Never got it done but for durability in the environment we must drive in that might be the way to go!
    I understand the rear hard lines are a PITA and Know for a fact that replacing the front driver-side is a nightmare!
    So you only want to do it once if at all possible!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I like very much the idea of stainless lines. Do you know someone that makes them in our area. Will stainless work for fuel line as well. I guess I could check with the parts stores and Ford to see what they have and how much.
      -Bryant

Comment

I don't suggest getting replacement lines just because of the price. Those sort of things ( not sure about your mechanical know how) are relatively easy to make from scratch if you have the patience and the know how. This, in my mind would be the cheapest way. Any NAPA or Autozone Or parts store should carry bulk brake line in rolls, this way you save money and can run the line however you may want to avoid things and even clean up the engine bay.

However, you may have to invest in a Flaraing tool kit, and a small tub bender if you do not already have one. I was going through for my mechanics licence so I have all of these tools.

Hope this helps a little bit. I'm sure with a little practice everything would come out great.
        1990 Festiva
        - 5 spd. swap
        - B6 SOHC swap
        - Custom Interior
        **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

Oh ya, you can also buy brand new fittings if you want so that you really wont have to worry about changing anything like that for a long time!
          1990 Festiva
          - 5 spd. swap
          - B6 SOHC swap
          - Custom Interior

Comment

I had thought anout making lines for the engine clean-up idea. But the stock ones are cooo clean under the car it is kind of hard to pass that up. Could I do a combo i.e. new lines under the car and cut them where they come into the engine bay and make them custom from there.
            -Bryant

Comment

You could do that if you want, but you would have to by the new couplings ( you can get them as a set at the autparts store, comse with 2 new fittings and a splice peice). Its completely up to you!
              1990 Festiva
              - 5 spd. swap
              - B6 SOHC swap
              - Custom Interior

Comment

In this area it's cheaper to buy precut break line, flared, with fittings. That's what I used to replace all my brake line last summer. Working from back to front and then cutting two pieces to fit in the middle. For a full description look in www.ag384bn.bravehost.com/BrakeTips.htm.

The main difference between brake line and fuel line is break line has to withstand high pressure so compression fittings can't be used, only threaded fittings can be used.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X