alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator?

I just bought a 1989 Festiva L about 2 weeks ago, and it was running not too badly. Took it in to get safetied, it ended up costing about $600 including the safety.

Thing is, a few days ago, the festiva just doesn't want to start. It will start with a boost, which I have done a few days in a row now, and will drive for a good 60-80 kms before it dies again.

It's a brand new battery, I got it when it was safetied. It has a warrantee, so I can replace it if need be. I've been told this may be a problem with the alternator, and to be honest, it's my first car, and my first time fiddling with an engine, so I don't know.

When the problem occurs, I try to start, but all I get is a *click* *click* *click*. The radio / engine lights come on... but doesn't even try to turn over.

What do you think?
    "tard" is the name of the car, not me.
    I just need to fix "tard".

the headlights work but the car won't start? sounds more like a problem with the starter. the few times I've had a dead battery it would either try to turn over just very slowly, or it wouldn't click at all and none of the lights would come on. Check the connections to the starter.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Really, you think it's the starter?

Because, it starts with a boost just fine. I don't know much about cars though...

Comment

erm... by boost do you mean jumper cables charging your battery? I was thinking push-start.

if you can charge the battery and start it then it probably isn't the starter and I'll just put on my helmet again.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

I'd get the alternator checked. The alternator is what charges the battery when the car is running. The battery may have just enought power to run the radio and lights, but not to turn the engine

Running down the battery and multiple boosts (with jumper cables) are not good for your battery and the battery will not charge as much as before. So get your problem fixed BEFORE you get a new battery under warranty.

A mechanic told me they recommend you change your battery after two boosts. (I did 10 boosts on my last battery and it showed that it wasn't charging as much, it would whine when starting at -20°C).
          I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Quick check for alternator is removing the positive battery cable, if the car dies, there is no juice coming from the alternator.
            Save your pity for the weak.

Comment

well now is a good time to go out and get a volt meter.
              it will cost you about 20 to 30 bucks or less and with one you can see if you are charging or not .
              you also will use this meter for other car related stuff .
              but it does sound like the alt .

shayne

Comment

before my starter soemtimes just makes a click sound but it doesnt turn over, so i figured that my battery is weak. it wasnt the battery, so what my mechanic did was he added a relay to the starter. now it starts fine.

Comment

Re: ..

Originally posted by AshesInYourMouth
                  Quick check for alternator is removing the positive battery cable, if the car dies, there is no juice coming from the alternator.
                  never check an alt this way. this can cause voltage spikes in excess of 300v, frying every electronic component in the vehicle. If you don't believe this is true, I can gladly supply 2 or 3 components which suffered the dreaded 'quick check'. Usually towed in from independent shops with a new batt and alt, now won't start..... they let the magic smoke out of the pcm....
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I replaced the alternator, and put in new spark plugs and it is starting not-too-bad now. Still need to pump the gas, and rev the car up when I start it to ensure it keeps going though. =/

The engine light is back on, but that is for another post.

Comment

If it is a carbed car you will need to pump the gas when you 1st start it. They are not like the modern fuel injection cars that start up and run without pumping the gas.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I have the same year festiva and I am currently having the same issue.

Did you find what the problem was?

Comment

I'm having the same problem as well, but I have a fuel injected engine.
                          "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
                          --Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by festivabot View Post
                            I have the same year festiva and I am currently having the same issue.

Did you find what the problem was?
                            What exactly is your problem. No start? Slow start? Losing power?
                            Be specific, please. With the problem, and with anything you've done so far to try and fix it. Around here, information is the elixir of life.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27515 follow the directions in post #7
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X