Axle nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle nuts

I found a donor for my front aspire swap, but i couldn't get the axle nuts off. Whats the trick? Are either of them reverse threaded?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

impact gun... the fronts are standard thread
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

its in the junk yard so an impact gun is not an option
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

cordless impact :lol:

or try a 2 foot cheater bar for your ratchet/breaker bar and someone to stand on the brakes. If that doesnt work find another car that you can brake loose.
        91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
        00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
        88 gtx
        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Stefan, if you have a large floor jack, take the handle out of it, and then take the bolt out of the middle of the handle. It should slide over the end of your ratchet. I've had to use my jack handle as a breaker bar many times....works like a charm:-) Good luck
          90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
          94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
          94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

First you have to use a hammer and punch to knock the bent part of the nut out of the spot in the axel. You'll see what I'm talking about. Then if the car has wheels try to use a breaker bar with "cheater pipe" slid over it and maybe bounce up and down on it.

Thats the way I do it.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

if it has a large flange on the nut I have had to use a chisel and punch to turn the flange lefty loosie, again, with liberal amounts of good penatrating oil. Chiseling and punching on the flange breaks up the rust behind the flange and deforms the flat surface of the flange making it hold less. Think "new wheel bearings" after hammering on them. if the breaker bar and cheater bar fail try this method.
              it runs so sweet
              91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
              X