Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

I was driving this morning at about 100km/h and as i came close to 100 there was a far bit of vibration in the steering wheel? does anyone know the course of this or how to fix it?

The tires are good and the steering is alined
    Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

You have the dreaded "seventies shakes" (or "sixties shakes"). It usually occurs between 60 and 70 mph.

Yvan thinks he found the cause--an engine/transaxle unit that is not centered in the front end. He said he moved his unit a bit to the right and eliminated the shakes. He has an Aspire, which shouldn't make much difference, since the two cars are almost the same.

Keep searching around this site and use the search function.

You could try remounting the wheels I suppose.

Or just drive under 60 or over 70!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

are your disk brake rotors warped? we seldom check it but it might be the problem.

Comment

yeah they are rotor wrapped, how does this affect the vibration? and what can i do to fix it??
        Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

Comment

If you have warped rotors you should get those taken care of too. Festiva rotors will need the hub/knuckle assemblies removed from the car and taken to a shop that can press the rotors off the hubs and reinstall new rotors for you. Or take your whole car to a brake shop for the usual pay service. (Doing the Aspire brake/suspension conversion is also good because it's easy for you to change the rotors yourself. Unlike Festiva rotors, they come right off.)

However, warped rotors will mainly affect your car when you are braking. You'll feel vibrations then, not when you are simply driving. If they were really, really warped and you somehow felt them while driving, then you should feel that all the time, not just between 60 and 70 mph!

I doubt warped rotors are the cause of what you speak. The "seventies shakes" is a relatively common problem with our little cars.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Also don't forget a wheel weight might have fallen off sometime this week.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

cheers for your help, something that i forgot to mention was that it only does this occasionally

Comment

Working...
              X