'89 Carb re-install questions: gasket removal, old gas, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 Carb re-install questions: gasket removal, old gas, etc

I finally began my carb reinstall on my '89L today. I got most of the old gasket material off the "new" carb, but I'm having trouble getting the old gasket off the EFE heater (also referred to in the shop manual as the "PTC" heater) on the intake manifold.

The EFE heater appears to be a phenolic or polymer plastic part that serves as a spacer and as some kind of heater (there's a wire to it and some metal inserts).

The EFE heater is undisturbed on the manifold so I shouldn't have to worry about that gasket.

I have a new gasket and some acetone to clean surfaces up after I scrape the old gasketing off. I'm afraid I might damage the surface of the plastic-looking EFE heater.

QUESTION 1: Are there any tricks to use to get the old gasket material off the EFE heater without damaging it? Would applying soaks of acetone make it easier? I have a small scraper to use, as well as pocketknives and the usual assortment of flathead screwdrivers.

QUESTION 2: The car's been sitting for at least one year. The carb was taken off then as well. Should I be concerned about the age of the gasoline in the tank?

Thanks. I don't think I'll have any more questions until I begin putting all the vacuum lines back on!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

my suggestions;

use a razor blade and acetone. don't scrape, just pick at the gasket. then shave off whatever remains. use caution, the plastic gets extremely brittle with age (mine shattered into about 20 pieces).

throw some Stabil in the tank, it should be fine.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks Jim!

Tomorrow I'll hook up the battery (which may need recharging...) and see approx. how much gas is in the tank. Then I'll add some Stabil and maybe a fresh gallon. (I was really worried about the gas age.)

In the meantime, I put up some pegboard on my garage wall and it's looking nicer with that and the shoplight I hung over the car's engine bay!

Tomorrow I'll get back at that gasket material removal. I think I'll hang a radio up for some tunes!

If I succeed in reviving the Mutt, it'll be the second time she's come back from the brink.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
      X