Vacuum style distributor to non vacuum distributor wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum style distributor to non vacuum distributor wiring

My 89 Festy has the vacuum style advance on the dist. Is there a way to swap it out for the non vacuum advance dist.? If so what wires do I swap or splice together to make this work? Or do I just need to by a new distributor? My car stubles at idle and has missing problems at steady RPM but not under load... Makes me think the vacuum advance is leaking and causing spark problems... That is why I want to change it over to the new style distributor... plus I have a spare new distributor from the engine swap I just did...

How will the timing get advanced on a cold carburetted engine without vacuum? There's no other signal. Once the O2 sensor warms up the computer takes over but until then it needs the vacuum. If the engine is having problems after the O2 sensor is warmed up then it doesn't sound like a problem with the vacuum advance because it's no longer being used.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sorry for not telling you that it is the fuel injected 89 Festiva L Automatic... My problem is that it stumbles or misses at idle and at a steady RPM but, not under acceleration. Not to mention that I hear a vacuum leak coming from the distributor area. So, if it is possible to "do away" with the vacuum advance distributor and rewire the harness for the window type (non vacuum advance distributor) I would just need to know what wires need to be spliced from the old car harness to the new (non vacuum advanced) distributor harness so that I will no longer have this issue.

Comment

Working...
      X