Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy didn't pass CA smog, hints?

edit: it's an '88 LX - carb 5 speed

I recently purchased a festy awhile back, but didn't get around to registering until recently. I know the seller is responsible for smogging the car before sale, but i figured it was last registered earlier this year so it shouldn't have a problem..

So yeah, it didn't pass smog, actually failed miserably.

It passes all visual and functional inspection except the gas cap is apparently not functioning (?)

The idle is at ~900 rpm , and seems to idle fine but has a super high HC reading. The reading at 2500 pm is a little better but still terrible-- I think they are ~800 and ~560 respectively.. The Gross Polluter limit is 250, and the max to pass is 120.

The CO reading also fails at idle, but actually manages to pass at 2500rpm.

So I'm looking to just get a tune-up and replace the gas cap (hopefully that's all) Anything else I should be looking out for? Common issues? Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks for listening :shock:

sounds like idle mixture is out of adjustment, and the cat is probably toast. Converters on carbed cars usually last about 100k before they become fouled to a point they can't be recovered.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

so I may need a new catalytic converter.. cool, thanks!

Comment

that would be the place to start concidering that is what filters out polutents
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

ah, but the carb misadjustment is what CREATES the pollutants!!! I would start with the carb first, so you don't foul the new cat.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
          X