Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans swap pointers

hey fellas,
    beginning of November i am going to start on the tranny swap project in my '89L. going from 4spd manual to 5spd manual.

i will be installing a new clutch from an auto parts store, any recommendations here?

would it be easiest to just pull the entire motor out? (i do have an engine hoist on hand). it is carbed so hardly any wiring will be in the way.

"2 birds, 1 stone"....what should i replace and or be looking to remedy while i am doing this project?

i'm looking for pointers and helpful info to get me thru this as easily as possible. so whatever info you think is relevant, please post up!

thanks in advance
    '89L 5spd swap complete! (rusty red)
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4/4.0 auto (musty maroon)
    '05 Buell XB9SX Lightning (hero blue)

Replace the rear main oil seal while the transmission is out. They leak after a while and it's good to replace it while the car is apart.

You can pull the engine or leave it in. Personally, since it's a carbed car, I'd leave it in there because there is a lot of lines and wires to disconnect, and you will have a heck of a time putting it back together if you don't take very good notes.
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Tim is right, those hoses and wires all look the same when you have the job of putting them back. But if you HAVE to pull the motor, good things to replace are timing belts, water and oil pumps and that rear crankshaft seal.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

okey dokey. will take all that into account! i know to label connections and take pictures before removing. main question is would it physically be easier (with labeling) to just pull the whole motor out or try it in the car?

anyone know of any online repair/service manuals for these little cars? so i can get torque specs and all that jazz. othersie i'll jut get a Haynes or Chiltons.

any other pointers? like, things that have a tendency to break during removal/install etc.
        '89L 5spd swap complete! (rusty red)
        '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4/4.0 auto (musty maroon)
        '05 Buell XB9SX Lightning (hero blue)

Comment

Hanes manuals are the way to go ~$15 at any auto parts place. I vote leave the engine in and drop the tranny. It's fairly painless the only connections you have to worry about there are the starter and two connectors on the transmission.
          Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
          Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
          White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
          White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
          Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
          Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
          White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
          X