Gas mileage question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage question...

Here's a weird one... my fuel consumption around town is better than on the highway :shock:

B6 (with appropriate ECU, VAF, and injectors), EFI, 5 spd.

Any ideas??

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

How fast do you drive on the highway? That makes a big difference (for me anyway).

Comment

head and cross winds are stronger on the highway aswell . . . I find my car gets better milage @ 70 than 65

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
      92 GL - parts car
      97 aspire - parts car
      87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
      http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
      Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Hey, Maybe somebody switch your drivetrain with a Prius drivetrain. The first Festiva Hybrid - LOL!
        I'm suspecting that wind resistance is the culprit. These cars are about as aerodynamic as a cinder block. My stock B3 seems to be thirstier at 80 mph than at 60 mph. Wind resistance increases exponentially as speed increases. Try driving around 55 and I think you'll see the mileage improve.

Comment

I know my car at 80-85 with the A/C on gets 30 MPG. And its an auto tranny.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof
            These cars are about as aerodynamic as a cinder block.
            :laughing3:

Comment

i have recorded every fill-up since my B6 swap (only maybe 10-15 tanks), around town i've been averaging 35, with a low of 33 and a high of 37. My parents took it on a 800mi or so trip and averaged 38-40 on the hwy, mostly at 65-75.

around town i've been "getting on it" a little too much, which is why i think my numbers are so low. This tank i'm trying to be real easy on it to see what kind of mpgs i'll get.

none of the above #'s are corrected for my 175/70/13 tires, so they are actually a few mpg's higher than that.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I have 175R70-13 I think I figgered 9.8% round to 10%
                it runs so sweet
                91 L 5spd

Comment

Figured out that the biggest part of the problem was bad math ops:

I've been getting 40-45 mpg (imperial) around town and 5-10 more than that on the highway... almost exactly the same as with the B3.

Thanks for the input.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                  X