Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My worthless conclusions after working on my Festiva.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My worthless conclusions after working on my Festiva.

10/24/2007

My worthless conclusions after working on my Festiva.

I found that the bogging and stalling on deceleration were caused mainly by the IAC (Idle air bypass motor assembly)
    it seems to have stuck open throwing the mixture off and richening up the motor. I swapped it with a higher mileage known good.
    and if it was leaking the computer tried to compensate for it.

I found that the MAF sensors I replaced were likely good.
    I have since obtained another spare for the other two were used for cores.

I found that the original O2 sensor was the best and fastest at reacting to changes in mixture.
    The originals were made by Nippon Denso. They are sold at autozone as replacements either with out without the connector ($26).
    I got a motorcraft which had a ND stamped on it elsewhere.

The absolute nicest fitting and operating TPS was the original Nippon Denso. I found 1 and only 1 on e-bay. Listed for an RX7 with a ?
    after the listing.

I got a Nippon Denso/ Neihoff fuel pump relay

I found that oil gets into the distributor through the seal behind the bearing if it is old and hard. that oil ruins the optics.

I also found out that the optical sensor goes bad after a while and causes a miss then slowly degrades to a complete shutdown.
    Same as with the IAC but combine that with the Distributor sensor and you have some real fun diagnosing.

I found that I could replace the sensor and not the distributor. I also found out it near impossible to get that sensor in this country.

Some of the biggest issues when I started getting the car running was connectors, they all have to be cleaned. Dirty connectors are
    why my fan never worked properly for one. And why a headlight was out.

Before you put a connector on clean it, check the wires going into it.

In one of the manuals there is a connector location chart, it also shows the grounds, the older these cars get the more corroded the grounds get.
    Check and clean the grounds one of my hardest lessons.

I also discovered that these simple little ecu's are pretty indestructible. I have a couple extras for carb cars cheap if anybody needs.

I learned that I can rebuild front hubs, Distributors, and I can play with the MAF sensor. Some of the parts are hard to get but that is doable too.

It seems to be a good idea to clean out the Idle air circuit on the throttle body as well as the throttle body itself. $2 for the gasket.

All the air intake hoses have to be airtight and they can be checked by spraying carb cleaner around the joints.

PCV valves also affect the running and the crankcase pressure.

All the vacuum hoses must be airtight. that includes the brake booster hoses and the check valve must be good too.

I learned a lot some of which I can not even remember just now. doh!

I learned that you can put aspire suspension parts on the festiva, and even a steering rack. 1/4 more turns for easier steering on parking.
    I even used the springs on the festiva struts. a lot of lift, but firm and I can carry a load in the back with no problem. 175R70-13 Blizzacks,
    "just waitin' for snow!

Well have fun these are great little cars when they are right.
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

I want pics of what the back of your car looks like with the breakswap ... uh.. aspire springs!
    I have the FMS lowering springs in the front of my Festiva and weak OEM's on the back!
    So a replacement is in order, but want to be sure its not too much.
    I already look like I going down hill sitting still!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

guarateed you will look like a dive bomber!
      it runs so sweet
      91 L 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by kzbill
        guarateed you will look like a dive bomber!
        But, if I have heavy load in the back like an engine or two it wont look so squat. Also was thinking of getting a small trailer to tow around and would ocassionally be hauling 2-400 lbs.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I had about 200-300 in the back today no prob
          it runs so sweet
          91 L 5spd

Comment

I put a 580 LB mercedes turbo diesel inline 5 cylinder in the back of a stock 89 L. It squatted but didn't bottom out. I drove it around town for 3 days.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

WHY????
              For 3 days????
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Cause he's freakin' carbonvmax!

Plus he was probably about to flip it anyway and he didn't feel like loading it in twice.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

^ Woohoo!! Well my friend gave me the engine in decent shape. I was going to part it out on ebay. I sold the turbo for $100 on ebay, tried to sell some other doodads off of it. The bottom end was good, but I was running out of time. I had to use the festiva to deliver food. After 3 days I gave up and took it to recycle. I made $12 on the recycle :roll:. It was kind of helping out my friend to clear space in his garage. I was also trying to make a buck. The festiva ran around like it was no sweat. Think about it. You put 2 290 lb friends in the back of a festiva and it's the same thing.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

My problems were solved by changing from copper non resistor spark plg wires to standard resistor wires.
                    Seems like the RFI radio frequency interferance was too much for the electronics.
                    Stupid me I thought I was doing it a favor by putting copper wires on it.
                    it runs so sweet
                    91 L 5spd

Comment

You should be a Festiva repair expert now!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

Still running great
                        it runs so sweet
                        91 L 5spd

Comment

what is the difference between copper and resistor wires? which ones do they give you if you just ask for plug wires?
                          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by geezerstiva
                            what is the difference between copper and resistor wires? which ones do they give you if you just ask for plug wires?
                            You usually have to really LOOK for copper wires, almost all wires sold today are resistor style. Just ask for a set for your car... you'll be ok.
                            Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                            http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                            My Garage Page:
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

They give you the right ones if you ask for wires, resistor. I asked for and got the wrong ones, my bad!
                              I purposely put the non resitor copper wires on thinking I was doing myself a favor.
                              It was a universal set for a tractor.
                              I am quite able to do myself harm if not watched carefully.
                              it runs so sweet
                              91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
                              X