rear backing plate - EXPENSIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear backing plate - EXPENSIVE!

i just bought a NEW rear backing plate for a 1991 festiva. it was pretty expensive at sixty dollars. the seller scratched off the PN label but i could still make out:

D040 26 290

Other parts of the label that remained were blue - do you guys think this is a Mazda part?
    where do they get these????

Originally posted by rret View Post
    i just bought a NEW rear backing plate for a 1991 festiva. it was pretty expensive at sixty dollars. the seller scratched off the PN label but i could still make out:

D040 26 290

Other parts of the label that remained were blue - do you guys think this is a Mazda part?
    where do they get these????
    I wonder if certain year of mazdas backing plates are interchangeable with the festivas, cuz I'm in search for some new plates also, did you find any info out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ummm that thread is 10 years old...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

even though assembled in s. korea, a lot of the parts on a festiva were sourced from mazda suppliers since the car was almost a carbon copy of the mazda 121 DA. almost all of the interior plastic pieces have the mazda part# molded into them somewhere. unfortunately the 121 itself was never marketed in N.Am so parts for it are not available through N.Am. mazda dealers. any parts starting with D are usually exclusive to the 121 and are only obtainable from overseas dealers or obsolete sources but very few are even still warehoused at this date.
        a few suspension bits and some hardware was cribbed from the mazda 323 for the 121 and these are sometimes still obtainable through N.Am. dealers since the 323 was sold here. these parts usually start with B and some are G.

Comment

What's a rear backing plate?

You should be able to find most of the mazda part numbers here - http://mazdaepc.com/

Comment

I asked the same question in the other thread. Seems to be the brake drum. To be verified.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

As festy stated in the other thread, the backing plate is sandwiched between the spindle and rear beam. It is the round disc that the wheel cylinder and brake shoes mount to. The brake drum mounts to the spindle and goes over the brake shoes. When you step on the brakes, the wheel cylinders push the brake shoes out against the insides of the brake drums, causing friction and slowing you down. Channeling my inner Cliff Claven on this one, lol

Comment

Thanks. Sounds like something you take to your corner foundry and they cast you a replacement.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It's stamped... And there are shops out there that will low volume production runs of an original part.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You could have some machined out of titanium plate, if you want to get fancy. I wonder if AL would hold up well enough.
                    Having someone set up to stamp those would be super $$$ in low quantities. You'd probably have $10k per side in dies.
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                    X