Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a '93 Festiva-have a couple of issues-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a '93 Festiva-have a couple of issues-help!

I finally got my hands on one Two problems though:

1. The Automatic belt on the passenger side doesn't work. It is locked in position on the B pillar. Any possible fixes?

2. On a cold start, the engine does not go into high idle. If you hold your foot on the gas a bit until it warms up it will idle fine. Warm starts are fine, starts and idles immediately. I'm thinking IAC valve maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

on the pass. seatbelt, i hate to say it , I've found that the control module under the drivers seat is the main culprit. you can try using the tool that sometimes come with used festys that looks like a Allen wrench with a dog leg in it , instead of a 90 degree bend in it or you can use just a long Allen and remove the small round cover low on the b pillar and wind the belt back up ( with the key off and passenger door open) . then remove the tool and turn the key on and close the door, if it retracts you just eliminated the micro door switch inside the door itself, replace module. or you may want to open the pass door panel and check to see if the switch is there or it is working properly with an ohmmeter,( has the car been in an accident?{obvious paint job by now}) the switch is located at the door latch , and there is only 2 wires to it.

Comment

Thanks for the assist! As far as I can tell, the car has not been in a major accident, however since you mentioned the micro switch is in the door, the passenger needs to be adjusted to line up correctly since it is a bit difficult to close. I'll try adjusting the door and then doing the steps you mentioned. How hard is it to come by one of those control modules? The driver's side belt works fine by the way.

Comment

it is not hard to get in some junk yards (about $30), and i have 2 of them in my collection, and if it is not the module i have 2 sets of motorized units in stock . Q: what state do you live( PM me below)

Comment

I think I found the problem. The microswitch is jammed and is not popping out when the door is opened. I got to catch up on some yardwork and then I'm going to see if I can get it loose. Thanks again!

Ok...any ideas on the idle on cold startup issue?

Comment

I've found that it is usually the switch in the latch itself.. or the connector in the door..

Comment

Wait...the switch is in the latch itself? The switch I found was the near the bottom of the door frame, almost on the rocker panel. Back to square one. ops:

Comment

the one near the rocker is for the dome lamp....
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

IT IS IN THE DOOR SHELL ,NOT ON THE BODY, you have to remove the actual door panel!

Comment

Update: Got the car legal today with a couple of new tires and exhaust from the cat on back. The original exhaust had a few holes in it after 12 years. :wink: I fixed the idle problem also, seemed be caused by an air filter that was black as coal. :roll:

I haven't taken the door apart yet, work schedule has not permitted it. A few more clues, it's not completely retracted to the B pillar and the belt warning light stays on. Does that narrow down the cause at all or am I going to have to bite the bullet and take the door apart?

Comment

Working...
                    X