• Show
Clear All

• door panel removal

how do you take of a door panel?
    any special tools needed?
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
    Paulbarrera12.com
    Festiva Visualizer Project

you can use a fancy tool but you can do it with a flat screwdriver exc. its just these plastic clips. you push the door panel away and they pop out.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

does the window crank just pop of somehow?
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
      Paulbarrera12.com
      Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

There is a clip on the back of the crank. Get that, the door handle screw, the door pull screws, one screw at the lower front corner and then pop all the plastic clips.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

CarbonVmax is right. The best way to get the window crank off is to take a paperclip, straighten it out and put a little hook (Like a fish hook) on one end. Put the hook end in (opposite the side with the knob) between the door panel and the crank itself. There is a little plastic disc (to prevent wear to the panel) and the hook actually goes between the disc and the crank. You should be able to hook the little spring clip that hold the crank on. Pull the spring clip out with the "modified" paper clip (I usually use a little plier to get a good pull on the modified paperclip). Be careful because the little C type clip will usually fly so it is best to have a clean garge floor (so you can find it if it flies). Once the clip is off the crank the crank should pull right off. Put the clip back on the crank and when you are done putting the panel back on, just shove the crank back onto the regulator shaft. If you loose the little clip, Use that paperclip (Form it to fit in the slots on the backside of the crank). A little elusive if you never dealt with these type of window cranks before. GM has been doing this type of attachment for years. Oh yeah the do make a tool for this and it is availabel at most car part stores. I had one but somebody borrowed it years ago (who was that?) and I refuse to buy another one - Besides the paperclip is just as effective.
          Oh Yeah - While you are inside that door, grease up those window regulator cables. Vaseline works if you don't have a thin grease. You'll be surprised how much easier those windows work with a little grease. Good Luck!

Comment

^^ What he said, although my Haynes says you can use a washcloth, slide it up under the base of the handle and work it back and forth, hold it tightly open. It works, have used that technique more than once. Just make sure you are watching for the clip, the little sucker will fly out and go who knows where. :roll: Spent a considerable amount of time looking for it once. :evil:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I learned the shop rag trick a few years back works better than the special tool, and easier to find.
              if you do lose the clip they at least are still available at any parts store. Just pull the rag around behind the handle like he said and it grabs the little ends of the clip.
              it runs so sweet
              91 L 5spd

Comment

I have also used the rag trick and that works great.

Comment

Hey - Thanks for the "enlightening". I'm going to give that shop towel trick a try next time I need to pull the window crank.

Comment

The shop towel trick definitely works.
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by carbonvmax
                      The shop towel trick definitely works.
                      That one little trick was worth the cost of the Haynes manual :-)

Comment

Thanks the vaseline idea worked great for me. Kept having to work it down as I crank before. Now slides down real nice.

Comment

paperclip idea worked the best for me to. got the pin right out.

Comment

Todays winnah! skinnypin!
                            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                            - Unknown
                            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

:dink::notworthy::wave::thefinger::cussing:

your funny

Comment

Working...
                              X