OK, I need to figure this out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I need to figure this out

So I'm driving to work this morning like normal......and I start feeling like I'm gonna pass out because of the horrible gas smell in the car. Its been like this for a little while, just not this bad. Last week I looked under the car. The tank and lines going to the motor are dry, so its somewhere under the hood. I just can't figure out where. With as bad as the smell is I would think it would be noticeable where its coming from. I'm guessing maybe the carb is leaking internally somewhere? Any ideas?

Gas, not exhaust?

For gas fumes I'd want to check the hoses on the charcoal cannister.
    Not exactly sure how it works but it's supposed to trap evaporated gas fumes
    and feed them back into the engine when the car starts up. I've knocked the hoses off when doing something as simple as changing the fuel filtre. I'd find the big round black cannister on the inisde of the driver's side fender and trace the hoses comming out of it to make sure they're all connected.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The smell won't be as bad as the impending fire!
      check while idling under the hood, carb connections, hoses, fuel filter, lines at tank, under floor and connections behind plastic near cutoff switch. Preferably check before the fire starts although it may be easier to find out where it started after.
      it runs so sweet
      91 L 5spd

Comment

my 88 does the same thing. if you find out what it is let me know. i think it could be taking away power too.
        89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
        92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
        New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Yea, its been running kind of funny too...thats what made me think that there might be a carb related leak

Comment

Originally posted by kzbill
            The smell won't be as bad as the impending fire!
            check while idling under the hood, carb connections, hoses, fuel filter, lines at tank, under floor and connections behind plastic near cutoff switch. Preferably check before the fire starts although it may be easier to find out where it started after.
            So true. My 67' Chevy van went up in flames due to a gas leak. I smelled gas on my way to work that morning. I figured I'd fix it when I got home that night. I never made it home.

Comment

Well crap.....I'll let you know if I make it home, ha

The thing is, I've been smelling it for a while.....just haven't been able to find anything. But this morning it was definately worse

Comment

Also, I don't know how I'm getting 44 mpg with gas leaking somewhere?!

Comment

Well, I got home. I turned it off and opened the hood and hear a slight noise coming from the charcoal canister. Its not really loud, but I can hear a noise. Now, what irritates me is that all the hoses are connected and like new. Is this thing under pressure when the car is off? The area where I heard the noise was the small hose coming out of the top on the firewall side.

Comment

Ok, one more thing. Started it up and let run for a minute and turned it back off. Now, air cleaner top off, about every 15 seconds, I hear a hiss/squeak come from down inside the carb....could this be anything?

Comment

you made it home then? thats good.
                      it runs so sweet
                      91 L 5spd

Comment

Not sure about the hiss/squeak from carb, but i would think any fumes at that point would be sucked down , I am with the cannister being the culprit as mentioned from others, recheck vacuum to it.
                        previous cars to fix up;
                        86 300ZX
                        85 RX7 GSL
                        88 Corolla FX
                        89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

I looked over it again. Everything looks new and is all tight. I may just go ahead and try to rebuild the carb, even though I've never done one before. The car has 151,000 miles on it so i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Comment

like i wrote, i havent had this problem so i am just guessing, but may can pull the hose off that comes from the gas tank to cannister and check for vacuum at that nipple on the cannister with engine running, i would think that would put to rest that the cannister was clogged if you feel vacuum thru the cannister, also, have you checked the bolts/screws that hold down carb to engine and the screws on top of carb to make sure they are tight..replace gas cap with new one....just throwing out stuff....
                            previous cars to fix up;
                            86 300ZX
                            85 RX7 GSL
                            88 Corolla FX
                            89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

hey donna, good to see a fellow tn member! not sure if i've seen you around though. i'm about 25 miles outside memphis.

ps. sorry to hijack thread, please continue. :lol:
                              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                              X