Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum and disc brake cylinder leakage judging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum and disc brake cylinder leakage judging?

A shop told me my rear brake cylinders and my RF caliper are leaking brake fluid. I just put the car up, took off the wheels and drums and checked for myself.

Removing the drum cylinder boots, I do see some fluid, but nothing that seems spectacular to me.

I unbolted and examined the RF caliper still attached by the hose. I don't see any leakage around the piston rubber.

I had lost half my brakes (RF and LR) and took it to Pep Boys and Firestone. Pep Boys said my RF caliper was bad (leaking) but the master cylinder was okay. Firestone said my RF caliper was bad along with the master cylinder and both rear brake cylinders.

How do you all judge a leaking caliper and leaking rear brake cylinders? I've read that some fluid will be seen under the rear boots and that's what it looks like: just a little bit. Nothing is leaking OUT.

No leakage outside the caliper either.

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

If the level in the reservoir on top of the master cylinder is stable you're not in serious trouble.
    The combination valve on the fire wall divides the sytem in two so one fluid leak won't cause the brakes to fail completely. The theory is you'll find the leak in one half and fix it before the other half goes too and you loose the braking power completely. If you have as many leaks as they say the level in the reservoir should fall. I'm not knowlegeable enough to say why you don't see any evidence of leaking where they say it's happening.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

above is right. my chevy truck is leaking somewhere and the fluid level keeps dropping.

Comment

Well, I just got back from "parts acquisition."

The guy at AZ said a little fluid in the rear cylinders was normal and nothing to worry about.

The guy from Advance said a little fluid meant my cylinders were starting to leak and were going bad, though not completely bad yet.

I ordered my M/C, two rear cylinders and two front caliper rebuild kits. Got plenty of fluid, another can of brake cleaner, and a bleeder kit (because I can't find my old one in my messy garage).

Oh yeah, and a turkey baster from Krogers, along with some cookies and cake...yum yummmmm....

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I don't want to know what the turkey baster is for!
          I can't see how replacing all the rubber parts can hurt anything, it is probly about time, and if you plan on driving it t good long while brakes are a nice thing to have.
          it runs so sweet
          91 L 5spd

Comment

Re: Drum and disc brake cylinder leakage judging?

Originally posted by Safety Guy
            I had lost half my brakes (RF and LR)
            It's the master cylinder then. Do that first and you'll be able to take all that other stuff back to the store.

Comment

TURKEY BASTER :lol:

John will be proud of you Karl
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
              X