strange idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange idle issues

ok, 88L, carbed, 4 speed. first of all, it idles too fast. sometimes i can make it slow down if i put my foot all the way to the floor and let off real fast. second, it revs up for just a second after i clutch, then returns to normal (high) idle. third, its lost its pep. it feels like i'm trying to drive a semi on a festiva engine. my best guess on the pep issue is the power valve is stuck or something. anyone know how to test this or replace it? i know some on here have some experience with carbs. i would appreciate the help. these problems are extremely irritating.
    thanks.
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Well I can't say for sure your problem is the same as mine but sounds the same and here is what I have found out. Sounds like you have a worn out choke spring and it isn't returning your choke to neutral after it is warmed up. This will cause the high idle and since you are getting too much fuel dumped in on acceleration it will also cause the sluggishness. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who sells the choke spring and choke cap to replace it. The best way to see if this is your problem is start your car and leave it idling high then take off your air cleaner (make sure you temp plug any open vacuum lines from removing the air cleaner) and physically disengage your choke. If your idle returns to normal then you have found your problem. The good news is it may not be bad, make sure that it is getting power. If it is then the bad news is good luck fixing it short of wiring it open (as I did but stalls sometimes when really cold) or purchase a new carb which run anywhere from $350-500. Hope this helps, let me know what happens.

Robert
    1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
    Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
    Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Comment

Working...
    X